Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 scrambler top end 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 scrambler top end 2 stroke

Thinking about buying a complete top end. It has been bored out to .010 and includes the jug, head, Wiseco piston , rings, pin. No gaskets or needle bearing for $185. I get to keep my old head and jug. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
A couple of questions:

I take it that I should NOT used any sealant on this?
On the clylinder base, it reads that the bolts should be torqued to 25-29 Ft Lbs. The problem is that a torque wrench won't fit. How do you do you secure those according to the specs?
Anything special I would have to do to the carb, or could I just bolt it all together and be good to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Nick

Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

they make a torque adaptor, designed like the box end of the wrench, goes on a torque wrench, make sure u put it on sideways not straight up cuz that will mess up ur torque. only way to tell if ur carb is gonna need adjusted is to put it all together and see how it runs

Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

They say not to use any sealant but I always do on both sides of the gaskets. clean both surfaces spotless and I put a very thin layer of sealant just to be sure both surfaces seal I then let everything set up before start-up. I hate after a rebuild the oil seepage so i try to keep it to a minimum.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

Cave man-
Is there a specific name for that torque adaptor and where can I purchase it? Appreciate your time and efforts.

Nick

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Trailblazer

Neff man-

What type of sealant do you use? Should I use it on all the gaskets; exhaust, intake, head and base? Appreciate your time on this
Nick

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

rtv black

Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

google torque adaptors and it'll show u what they look like and u could prolly go to harbor freight and get em, no use buyin good ones if ur not gonna use em all the time

Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Like 4getful2 said, any RTV silicone or gasket maker will work, Keep in mind I also use the proper gaskets I just run and small amount of sealant on both sides before the parts go together just to make sure they seal tight.I do this for everything that needs and air tight seal. I don`t use anything other than the specked gaskets on the exhaust side of the motor, these gaskets are specially made for the heat the motor will put out.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Bird man, Cave Man, Neff man

Got a good tip about using an obstruction wrench. It appears that when you use the
10 mm obstruction wrench (flat with no angle) with a torque wrench, the values become mostly negligable. By using a nut bolt combination on the torque wrench side the values should under as opposed to over. I figure to torque it to the middle range, which should be about right

NeffMan- Thanks for sealant tip. What gasket manufacture do you recommend? I'm going on faith when I order the gaskets that they will be specific for my task.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Bird man, Cave Man, Neff man

Got a good tip about using an obstruction wrench. It appears that when you use the
10 mm obstruction wrench (flat with no angle) with a torque wrench, the values become mostly negligable. By using a nut bolt combination on the torque wrench side the values should under as opposed to over. I figure to torque it to the middle range, which should be about right

NeffMan- Thanks for sealant tip. What gasket manufacture do you recommend? I'm going on faith when I order the gaskets that they will be specific for my task.
I have no preference. because I add the little extra it takes to seal. now if I was to use the gaskets by them self I`m sure there are some manufactures that seal better than the others. when I order gaskets what I try to do is find a set that is mid range in price that being said for the most part I`m sure not to get the Chinese brand that says "meets of exceeds factory spec`s". from Hong Kong,

Quick Reply: 99 scrambler top end 2 stroke