Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 or 00 scrambler??

Ok I've got the choice of a

99 400 4x4 2 stroke scrambler

or

00 500 4x4 4 stroke scrambler

-

I'm not some crazy rider nor gear head that knows a bunch about atv's I just enjoy riding them. This is a second atv that will be riden by my wife and other relatives. It will not be raced, jumped or moded. Just trail riding, comon farm riding, taken to the mountains (hatfields) and riden in the snow. I have a mechanic that does all my work on the side so repair costs are very manageable.

I've heard some pro's and con's from a bunch of different people so I don't know which one to buy. They are the exact same price no mods and both in very good condition. They both need a battery thats about it.

It appears based on trade in value that the 00 500 is worth about $200 more, So which one do I buy?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

go with the oil burner!!! big brother is the only reason that everything is going 4 stroke

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

what kind of trails/terrain do you ride. i loved my 400 in the sand and for flatout riding. my 500 does SOO much better on tight trails.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I think the 2 stroke as a bit more throttle response but at the end of the day after a long ride you will be happier with the 4stroke because there isn`t the rin-tin-tin sound, also the 4 strokes have more ***** when it comes to pulling a trailer and slow end torque. I went from a 92 Trail boss 250 (2 stroke) to a 99 sportsman 500 (4 stroke) and just the sound difference alone makes me think how did i put up will all that noise for so long.
All that being said I personally think you will be happier with the 4 stroke.
Happy trails Randy.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't do any type of terrain exclusively whatever opportunity is presented I try and take advantage of. I'm moreso looking to have the reliability question answered, i don't think i will ever use the bike to its full potential on any trails. I'm worried about the 4x4 going out and the motor. I like to ride hills more then anything else to be honest. But go to hatfields 2 times a year. Ride farm land and basic wood trails.

I also have the opportunity to buy a 2006 predator that has been used a little bit for the same price but turned it down because of the 4x4.

All of these for $1500. The predator has been riden and raced not nearly as clean as either of the scramblers.

I'll take any advice.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Randy!

A great point, again this is something my wife will be riding.

Is it that big of a difference in sound and comfort when riding?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

See if you can try both of them out tell the seller that you are going to by 1 of them (if you are) and you want to take it on a 1 hour run. Tell the person you hear different stories between the 2strokers and the 4 strokers so you want to see for yourself. if the guy selling has any confidence in what he`s selling he will let you, providing you will be responsible for any damages cause by miss use. I`f you are able to ride without a helmet (not recommended) however i do all the time, take it easy and listen to the quad. now imagine a full days ride with a helmet you will hear the differences just like you did without the helmet on.
Its not only the sound difference here its the ride as well. The 4 strokes tend to be a heavier machine so trail manners are much more pleasant. I have only owned the 4stroke for a short time, I have had to do allot to it because on the previous owners neglect but I`m so happy with the switch I don`t think I`ll ever go back to a 2 stroke with the exception of my sled.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

yeah just like randy says the 500 4/stroke is a tough motor as long as you use 0w40 full synthetic.over ten year old 2stroke if it still has the polaris stock cast piston in it you will immediately have to do a top end rebuild cause when that cast piston goes it takes no prisoners.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your wife is going to be the rider take my advice (I got my exwife a 400 and it hurt her)
Go for the 500.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

500 gets better milage and tons of low end torque. It will keep up with stock 400's if you have the riding ability and strength to manhandle it. Spark plug doesnt load up on extended idle. It is heavier and wont wheelie as easily. Did I say it has tons of off idle torque. Low rpm torque.

Quick Reply: 99 or 00 scrambler??