Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help/advice fixing my "mechanics special" 06 sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice fixing my "mechanics special" 06 sportsman 700

Hey. I posted a while back that I was thinking about buying an 06 Sportsman 700 EFI for $850.. well, I did it. The thing runs great, but needs mechanical and cosmetic love. I've pinpointed most of the problem areas, now just need some help getting parts.

1st: The oil drain plug is stripped. I can't seem to find an aftermarket one, and I don't want to pay $30 from babbitts for one, I don't live close to a Polaris dealer. Any suggestions?

2nd: The gear shifter has a lot of play in it, and is also really hard to shift into park. Anything I can do about this?

3rd: The foot brake is completely slack, no resistance when pressed, and it does nothing. I also noticed that the rear rotor is rusty despite just being ridden, meaning the pad is not making contact even when front brake is used. What could be the problem?

4th: I need a new rear axle. Any aftermarket ones that are stronger than stock?

I think thats all the questions for now... I appreciate all the help.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

not sure what thread drain plug is, maybe look on ebay therew is a spring on the foot brake that pulls a plunger , supposed to push brake to put in park, i tied the spring to the frame so I didnt heve to push it ,need to bleed the rear brake, take the cap off of thesmall resevoir, to bleed it, the brake on the handle bars applies the rear too, check brake fluid in that resevoircontact the cv man on ebay or call 1800338-2326, he will fix you up

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$850 for a 2006 Sp 700 EFI.....I would pay the $30.00 for the proper drain plug...........This is a important item...........It keeps oil in the engine........Caper..........

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Well, most of why I want a different drain plug is cause I hate torx/allen style stuff, I would rather use a socket, just my personal preference I guess, and I figured there would be a hex style plug available for this thing somewhere...

So my axle wasn't broken, the splines were stripped. This thing did some serious towing I think. I can't seem to figure out the brake thing, the pedal goes almost to the plastic before it connects with the rod on the brake cylinder. And when I push it that little but further to actually depress the brake cylinder rod, the piston on the rear brake doesn't move. The fluid reservoir is full of clean fluid.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do get a replacement oil plug remember there is a sealing ring around the base of the bolt head also to prevent any leaks.......sounds like a fun project....Caper..........

Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

unless the brake pedal brackets or bracktry are bent , i would look at the master cylinder pushrod and see if you can't pull it outward, it may be seized. which i believe causes the rear brake to not work with the handlebar brake.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

The pushrod only sticks out about half an inch, so the pedal has to travel almost all the way before it makes contact. I will check and see if I can pull it out, but my guess is its shot.

Thanks for the help everyone, I can't wait to get this thing up and running. I was moving cows in the snow on the Foreman today and was almost getting stuck in a foot of snow, I was thinking it would be nice to have the extra clearance of the Sportsman about then.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

I cannot seem to figure this out, maybe someone can help me...

I keep hearing about this spring that lets the tranny shift into low or park when the aux brake is pressed. The only spring I see is one that brings the brake pedal back up after its been pushed down, but that can't possibly be the spring you people are talking about.....

Can someone clear this up? I have to force the lever into Park... that is bad...

I have looked at parts diagrams and don't see anything that resembles a safety spring/lever or whatever.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

found it in my service manual , in tranny section its called park lock srpring, it hooks to top of brake lever and pulls a plunger down out of tranny, plunger is located right below gear position switch on tranny, I took a piece of wire and permenately wired plunger down tho frame, hope this helps

Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Ahh!!! I see it! Finally, in my service manual, awesome... but why can't I find it in the parts diagrams? Eh, oh well, I will probably just do the wire trick like you said.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Need help/advice fixing my "mechanics special" 06 sportsman 700