Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

In need of help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of help!!

Hi,
I am new to the site. I recently picked up what i believe is a polaris trail boss. there is no plastics on it nor can i find a sticker telling me exactly what it is. Anyway....I used the front end and the swingarm with the gear box to build my son a mini sand rail. I can not get it to go in the forward gear. There is a solenoid on the gearbox by the selector lever, if this is not working will it keep the gearbox from going in the forward gear? Neutral and reverse work fine. Thanks for any help

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already, ask your question in the Polaris section to get a better answer.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already, ask your question in the Polaris section to get a better answer.
heou

I thought i was in the polaris section..?? Anyway, I believe i have uncovered more information about the switch/solenoid that i am talking about on the gearbox gets it's power from the brake. when the brake is pressed it tells the gearbox that it is safe to put it in the forward gear. Now what i am trying to find out is will it go in forward if i take the switch out of the gearbox? Or another thought is hook it up to a toggle switch to activate it when you want to go in the forward gear.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you are in the polaris section. moose must of thought he was reading this in a differnt section. i don't recall any solenoid on the transmission. the switch on the tranny as you mentioned is to indercate what gear it is in or some years did have the push brake to shift out of park gear. either way i do not beleave this would effect shifting into foward. is there a linkage youy can adjust? if not maybe some how the shifting fork inside of the tranny got bent??

Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, Moose's brain was certainly elsewhere. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

should be 2 rods from shifter to gear box, thats not a selenoid, its a box with oil in it and a wire out of it that wasa gear shift position switch , if rods are adjusted correctly it wont have any effect on shifting, put tranny in nuetral manually and adjust all rod ends so they line up perfectly centered, I would guess shifter is mounted a little off

Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Been a few days since i have had a chance to get on here. I finally got the gearbox repaired. It was actually the shiftfork causing all the problems. But, thats nothing that the ole tig and vertical mill could not handle. Thanks for everyones help. As soon as i get a chance i will post some pics of the build.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

Told ya Chieft, these guys over here are great and have lots of good info.