Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Muffler, Sprock Guard (XPLOR)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped off the pipe for the Scrambler at Jet Hot today in Pascagoula, MS. and now I can't bring myself to put the stock silencer back on that pretty pipe. How loud is the FMF silencer that you put on ? Did you have to modify anything to hook it up to the HPD pipe ?
Tax refunds are coming back and I want to put some stuff on the quad, I was thinking about either Works Performance struts, a roller clutch ( I haven't researched the difference between the HPD and the Aaen units. Which did you get ? ) or tires and wheels. My scram came with steel wheels and I'd love to pull some more weight off of the quad.
Also, to give credit where credit is due, I am making an aluminum sprocket guard and one for the rear brake disk. They'll get the swiss-cheese treatment like yours.
I'll e-mail you some photos when I get them done.

Old 03-09-2001, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

Hey CaptNemo:

I too thought about Xplors sprocket guard mod. I have a swing arm skid plate. I went ahead and took off all of the guards and saved over 6 lbs of weight. I could not believe how much that stuff weighed. I have not taken it out for a ride yet as I am still repairing the damage from hitting a tree. Anyone see a reason to not take off the said items if you have a skid plate?

KD

Old 03-09-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

CaptNemo---> The FMF sounds very nice. Yes, it is louder than the stock one but now it sounds like a motocross bike. It actually drowns out the Shee I ride with. It's a nice sound and not to aggravating to others. I may just take it off at camp not to p-off the older fellows that are fishing and hunting.

The only mod I made for instalation was to drill two holes just above where the stock silencer was bolted on. About 1/3 inch higher. I noticed my pipe melting the plastic wire connector behind the crank case so I wanted to raise it just a hair. Plus a little pipe guard shaving was needed because of the extra heighth.

I have the Aaen Roller. Very wise investment. I heard that they improved it again this year and that even HPD's is improved. Mine works fine...never had any problems.

Struts and/or Springs is a good idea and so are the aluminum wheels.

Let me know what you get!

Old 03-11-2001, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

I finished up the aluminum sprocket and rear brake disk guard this evening and they look great. I used 5052 alloy aluminum, I couldn't find any remnant 6061 or 7075 easily. I got the material for free from a local boat builder www.silverships.com/1_util.gif this is an old photo of our dive boat. If the material is too soft or not strong enough, I'll have to look for some aircraft alloy.
I'll take them to the post office and use their scale to weigh all of the parts. I'll also shoot some photos w/ the digital camera and e-mail them out to whoever would like them.
I'll have to call the local plating shop on Monday and see about getting these parts anodized.
I'll call Rocky Mountain on Monday as well, to check on a FMF silencer.

Old 03-11-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds sweet...send me the pics when they are done!

Old 03-13-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I took the parts to work today and weighed them on an electronic scale, and here are the numbers:

Steel Sprocket Guard 49.7 oz
Aluminum Sprocket Guard 14.5 oz
Net Weight Difference 35.2 oz

Steel Disc Brake Guard 21.5 oz
Aluminum Disc Brake Guard 6.0 oz
Net Weight Difference 15.5 oz

Total Weight Removed 65.2 oz or 4lbs 1.2 oz

All of this weight is unsprung, and the sprocket guard is rotating weight, which is a double plus !! I called the plating shop this morning, and the price was a little too high for anodizing - $65.00
I'll put some jpegs in the e-mail tomorrow for you.

Old 03-13-2001, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

CaptNemo,

Where do you ride around here. Was reading your post and notied you live in Mobile also.

Old 03-14-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I got tied up at work tonight and didn't leave work till 10:30 !! Got to love those 14 1/2 hour days...

Benton, I ride mainly at the hunting camp that I belong to, just west of Thomasville. I ride a little bit at work ( small industrial area ). I'm always looking for something closer to home. I've heard of some places off of Rangeline Road and Theodore-Dawes Road.
What do you ride?

Old 03-14-2001, 07:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 300 xplorer but am getting close to buying a new quad. Trying to decide between a 400 xplorer and a Sp500HO. Its about to drive me nuts.
The new quad will be used for hunting and trail riding.Have you ever been on the trails near Spanish Fort. They would be perfect for your bike.

Old 03-15-2001, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Xplor, You've got Mail

Quick Reply: Muffler, Sprock Guard (XPLOR)