Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Hawkeye 4x4 Grease Fittings!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hawkeye 4x4 Grease Fittings!

I know there was another thread about this, but I'm having a really hard time and couldn't find answers in there.

I checked the manual for all the Grease fittings, there are apparently four of them, Front Prop Shaft Yoke, Steering Post Bushing, Rear Lower Control Arm, and Bearing Carrier. I can't seem to find the Steering Post Bushing, and Bearing Carrier. I've looked for about an hour, and can't for life of me find them, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be helpful.

I also found a few of these grease fitting looking things, but they're in weird places, if someone could explain what they are, that would be great!

Sorry for the slightly blurry images. The first one seems to be on the brakes, and the second is on left side of the ATV, just below the side panel, if you're looking at the ATV from the front.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 2 in the picture are bleeder fittings for the brakes. did you find more then one on the drive shafts? not sure where they would be but sounds like the ones you mentioned is right. the steering post might under the front plastic if you can't see it near the botton of the s. post.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

If it's under the front plastic, that would mean I'd need to take off most of the front of the ATV?

Edit, there was one on the drive shaft, near where it connected to the rear differential. Looked like the front prop shaft yoke, according to the picture, but it wasn't in the front.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear ones in the hub carrier are difficult to see/get to. I always pull the rear wheels to get to them. They are located on the lower pivot part under the axle. The other ones are in the center of the tube on the lower a arms where they are mounted to the frame. I haven't been able to get to the one on the steering post, so I can't help you there

Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Only the very early 06 had one on the steering column, mine didn't.

There are 2 that are almost impossible to see and those are on the rear, upper - inner control arms.

To access them, take rear wheels off. Then take out the bolt that holds the upper control arm to the wheel bearing carrier. Fold the control arm up and you;ll see the grease fitting where the control arm is still attached. When you reassemble it, the nut is torqued on the bolt at 40 ft. lbs.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input guys, I'll see if I can find those some time today, possibly tomorrow.

That whole torque thing confuses me. How do I know how much torque to apply? Do I need a special tool?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

You really should have in inexpensive torque wrench for some of the maintainance but for the bolt @ 40 ft lbs, you can get away with using about an 8 or 9" long open end wrench and pulling it good and tight. That should be close.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

Why don't the front A arms have grease fittings? I feel like if the rear A arms do, then so should the front.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

YUP, I agree.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

what does the upper control arm look like?

Quick Reply: 2006 Hawkeye 4x4 Grease Fittings!