Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 Sportsman 400 DOA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Sportsman 400 DOA!!!

I have a 2004 Sportsman 400 that this past December I took it out and it started flashing HOT. There were no signs of it running hot other than the speedo flashing Hot. I shut off the unit with the key and the fan on the radiator continued to run. I flipped the switch on the handle bar to OFF and the fan still runs. This in turn killed the battery. Today I tried hooking a jump box to the atv and the fan came on but nothing on the speedo and the unit would not do anything. I rehooked the cables and still nothing except the fan running. I hooked the jump box to the started side of the solenoid and the unit turns over but will not fire and nothing at all shows on the speedo. Can anyone tell me where I should start to troubleshoot? I don’t know if the start switch, kill switch on the handlebar or cdi box maybe bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

have u had the ecm recall done, that was a reason for the recall besides the fire danger with it, call a dealer and give them ur vin number and see if ur vin is in the recall list

Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

No I was not aware of a recall on this model. Thanks, will get it checked out .

Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

didnt think the 04's where part of the recall. you check the vin# at a dealer for any recalls.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys but there is no recall on mine. Any way to check it? How about to check switch key or kill switch on handle bar?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't think the 04' 400 had the ecm's like the newer bikes. it has what is shown as a module control(guessing the regulator). maybe the sensor is bad giving fasle hot signals to turn on the fan? located on the side of the engine pn# 3089246Asm., Thermo Sensor

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

look under the cover underneath the headlight pod and see what color the ecm is, if its silver with one big connector than its the right one if its black with a couple smaller connectors its the one they recalled, thats what it sounds like to me

Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

Ok everyone thanks for all the help. I found the problem (ECM) and its the BLACK version with 3 plugs not the silver one plug version. The dealer is saying that my vin number was not in the recall so if the ECM is tha old version how will i get them to replace it for free? Any ideas guys? Again thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update for this post. I have a "04" sportsman 400. Vin# says production date of 02/03/04. In the Clymer service manual I bought I have found numerous discrepencies regarding identifying whether it is considered early- or late model '04.
Irregardless, due to the wiring schematics, I have deduced that mine is a late model '04.

This post is for those Polaris owners with a ECM/Logic Box issue.
My quad,with about 1300 miles on it, was fine until we (my stepson) pressure washed it one day. After that I got a HOT display reading and battery reading on the display. I found a stick buried in the fan, bought new fan, no HOT reading now. Still battery reading. Checked it and I am getting overcharging reading(via voltmeter) at the battery.
Checked forums on countless sights....All lead to the recall for ECM.
This unit was replaced about a year ago with the "updated" ECM, after having an issue (previous owner had ,supposedly, hooked the battery up wrong, frying the ECM.
After purchasing the new updated ECM, and having an overcharging problem( yeah is reading 15-16 volts, fried one battery, didnt know why.)( after a year, and after the pressure washing)I tore it apart.

I noticed(on the replacement ECM anyhow) that I had excessive moisture inside.
I have little choice but to spend the $120 for the new ECM/logic box as my dealer and many more will not validate recalls for these machines after 6 years.

My suggestion for those with ECM failure issues(as I seen via threads) get the new one/replacement, take the rear 4 screws out,silicone the livin **** out of the rubber gasket AND dielectric grease(the hell out of it) the wiring connector.

I will try this, and hope it helps.

I am starting to believe all these ECM issues will Polaris is a result of poor sealing of the unit itself.

I took many photos of mine as I opened it,with moisture evident, if anyone is interested.
I hope this helps someone out.

Quick Reply: 2004 Sportsman 400 DOA!!!