Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Some Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help!!!

My brother has a 2010 Sportsman 500 H.O. This weekend a buddy of his crashed his ATV into good-sized tree and destroyed most of the plastics on the front end. A new plastic bumper and lower storage box piece have already been ordered and his buddy is paying for them. Here's the thing. Looking at the ATV it seems like the middle of the frame (under the actual seat) is significantly lower than the front and rear of the ATV. It's as if the middle of the frame is bent down. My brother is not sure if he is being to critical and is just convincing himself the frame is bent but he asked me for his help. The other thing that he is saying is that the tow hitch looks like it has some angle to it (going up, as if the frame is lower in the middle) and he's just trying to understand if that's how it was beforehand. He swears that boxed steel that makes up the hitch was pretty much level. We measured from the frame (directly underneath the seat) down to level flat concrete and the measurement came to 11". Can anyone confirm this with me or help me out and suggest some other things to look at in relation to this possible issue. ATV is completely stock. Thanks so much.

Cody

Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Frame

Does the frame have any noticable bent areas in it? Seems that you have taken a fairly close look at it...usually it seems that when steel bends you can see it somewhere. What does the steel on the front look like? Was it all bent up?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
Does the frame have any noticable bent areas in it? Seems that you have taken a fairly close look at it...usually it seems that when steel bends you can see it somewhere. What does the steel on the front look like? Was it all bent up?
No not bends, he just thinks the entire fram might be bent (or bowed) in the middle. The small piece of metal/frame that sits right in from of the radiator was slighty bent but that was all. Thanks for your response.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default frame

Originally Posted by youngster
No not bends, he just thinks the entire fram might be bent (or bowed) in the middle. The small piece of metal/frame that sits right in from of the radiator was slighty bent but that was all. Thanks for your response.
I obviously have not seen the quad and don't own this particular machine, but I would guess that if the steel in the front where it actually hit the tree isnt all bent up, the frame probably isn't all jacked up!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From what I've seen of the bottom of my X2 the frame under the seat area is straight with no curve to it until you get up towards the front. I did bend my hitch when I dropped off a 2' drop and the hitch hit a rock as the rear slid off the obstacle. But the frame is still straight otherwise.