Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Street/Track legalization help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street/Track legalization help

Hey all, jsut wondering how many of you have installed items for street legalization or track legalization. I've got my eye on a nice set of LED turn signals and have finally found a decent switch to operate them, but I'd like to see what others may have done. As far as track legalization, has anyone installed a tethered killswitch on their popo?

links to what I've found of interest:
Kill switch (the red one in the center)
Battery Accessories (Chargers, Adapters, Kill Switches, Jumper Cables, Connectors)

Turn signals:
SM LED Turn Signal Kit: Polaris RZR RZRS RZR4 RZR 900 XP Ranger EV XP HD & Crew, Yamaha Rhino, Honda Big Red MUV, Kawasaki Mule Teryx, Arctic Cat Prowler, Side-by-Side UTV, Golf Cart, etc.

Turn signal switch:
Universal Compact Control Switch [Rm Part# 1274950001] - $32.99 : North Coast Motorsports

I thought this switch could be used for turns, fogs, and horn, since the lights are already on the handlebar controls.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

mine is licensed and street legal,in WYoming, all you need is a horn, I put a 12 volt car horn in the headlight pod, a mirror and head,tail and brake lights that popo;s already have

Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
mine is licensed and street legal,in WYoming, all you need is a horn, I put a 12 volt car horn in the headlight pod, a mirror and head,tail and brake lights that popo;s already have
I guess each state may vary...I thought signal lights were needed...

John

Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I think it depends on the state. Here in Indiana some counties (about half)you can ride on county,rural roads and along the side of highways as long as the vehicle has a state registration sticker on it from the DNR. Some of my areas smaller towns are starting to allow them as well which is awesome! The only thing that sucks is the town I live in won't budge on it because of a so called state legislature thing concerning population size and traffic. My town is by far the largest in the area with approx. 8,000 people. (Such a huge thriving metropolis!) The mayor couldn't/wouldn't show me the documents concerning this issue and her only response was that atv's are considered small vehicles and would likely be more accident prone in traffic. Bull S#!t. I said what about motorcycles or a moped that doesn't even need a license plate. Her response was, well they have all the proper lights and signals. I responded by claiming I would have no problem doing the same to an atv. She refused to speak anymore with me on the subject. I think she's got a cob in her A$$ and doesn't want to see a bunch of atv riders making her precious town look like a little red neck convention. After some digging I found out that decisions of that sort can be passed by the local government without the states consent. I am very tempted to jump through hoops and get mine re-certified as a motorcycle (It can be done with lots of paperwork) and plate it just so I can buzz up and down the street in front of town hall sticking my tongue out at her. I've heard of guy's doing it in a city about 35 miles away with 120,000 people.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

go get em readymixer

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

I figured it was state to state, my inlaws live in WY, so I'm set there, with the addition of some mirrors and a horn, but I wanted everything to look smooth, what kind of switches are you guys using for horns and signals?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by cyberhedz
I figured it was state to state, my inlaws live in WY, so I'm set there, with the addition of some mirrors and a horn, but I wanted everything to look smooth, what kind of switches are you guys using for horns and signals?
I would look into seeing if a signal switch from a motorcycle could be altered to work with an atv. I doubt it would be difficult.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I'm trying to find one similar to our default ones on the xp's. Headlights, would stay, kill would be turns, and reverse override would be the horn. All this would also help me install a lanyard kill switch and the reverse override switch(instead of a pushbutton). If anyone knows of a good brand control switch, let me know, otherwise i'm googling for a few days, lol

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I can't recommend a brand but if your looking for a motorcycle type controls check out either jpcycles.com or denniskirk.com. Other than that ebay or bing/google.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

Many quality switches available here...Not sure what you will need....But Otto is a proven name for quality...

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/

John

Quick Reply: Street/Track legalization help