Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hall Effect Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hall Effect Sensor

I've read it both ways on this and am feelig caught between a rock and a hard spot. Saturday, my speedometer jumped way up while I was sitting still, before a ride. At some point on Sunday, it quit, totally. All other readings work, just the needle on the speedo does not. AWD works in fwd and reverse. I've read that these symptoms "always" point to a bad Hall Effect Sensor, and I've also read that all these symptoms "always" point to a bad speedometer. Which is it?

I suppose I should break out the manual again and attempt to test them.

Suggestions?

2002 Sportsman 700

Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

9 out of 10 times its the sensor failure especially if all other systems working. Common problem. Some of the earlier sensors didn't have the protective cap over the sensor mounted in the caliper bracket, but can go out even with the cap. OPT

Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the AWD is working it is probably not the speedo cable. For that year they are a combined function. I had your same symptoms ( I have a 2003 600) as you are having and it was even more noticeable in reverse because the machine would think you were going really fast when the speedo "jumps' and it would try to engage the reverse safety feature. I would buy the sensor and and try it out. You will know right away if it is the right part. I would say 99% that is the the Hall effect...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm curious about this also, my needle jumps all over but everything else works fine including the odometer/tripometer (compared to GPS) For me though could've been when the quad flipped and smashed up the pod (speedo glass never cracked though). If its just the Hall sensor might be worth replacing, but the whole speedo cluster is pretty expensive. Can a faulty Hall sensor give proper distance but bad speed??

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by barryk
I'm curious about this also, my needle jumps all over but everything else works fine including the odometer/tripometer (compared to GPS) For me though could've been when the quad flipped and smashed up the pod (speedo glass never cracked though). If its just the Hall sensor might be worth replacing, but the whole speedo cluster is pretty expensive. Can a faulty Hall sensor give proper distance but bad speed??
All of the bad ones I replaced wouldn't show speed or mileage on the speedometer,BUT yours being wrecked,possibility could be either the speedo unit itself or the the sensor?? Cheaper as suggested to replace the sensor then you will know for sure! 2 o'clock my time and I'm going to bed! Good luck OPT

Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'll buy the sensor. Mine, incidentally, does have the metal cap on the end of it. It was full of dust and dirt, but I'd expect that in the environment it is in. Cleaning it all out didn't change anything, either.

4010298 correct part number for mine, too?

Online store I looked at has the part for $47, but doesn't list that they have it for my '02 700.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

4010298 is the correct part # on Polaris site but could have a superceded #

Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cheap Cycle Parts is in line with Polaris #'s,plus is where I get my own parts and have ordered for fiends Polaris atv's. Cheapest place for oem parts I've found for most machines compared to dealer prices. OPT

Quick Reply: Hall Effect Sensor