Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Strange symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i fired it up while i was in the shop today cleaning up. I had both the radiator cap off and the reservoir and made sure fluid levels were good. Ran great untill about 10 mins in and then fluid was sloshing out of the top of the radiator..is this normal when air is being burped out of the system? have yet to check AWD gonna check here tonight.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_DNR
So i fired it up while i was in the shop today cleaning up. I had both the radiator cap off and the reservoir and made sure fluid levels were good. Ran great untill about 10 mins in and then fluid was sloshing out of the top of the radiator..is this normal when air is being burped out of the system? have yet to check AWD gonna check here tonight.
Did fan kick on?? sometimes will burp out a little, but if fan doesn't kick on will gush out because of overheating OR if radiator stopped up,impeller damage/slipping, not pumping coolant, etc. Normally when fan kicks on level in radiator will drop and air is expelled, when this happens then you can top off coolant and replace cap.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont think it did..see im so confused because it did this before and we changed the thermostat and ran fine untill we parked it for the winter. It got run for 2 weeks and AWD stopped working before it sat but for now im gonna forget about the AWD untill the overheating gets solved. So i ordered another thermostat just to go ahead and swap it out..While its on the way (about 2 weeks) how do i test the fan and other stuff u listed?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_DNR
I dont think it did..see im so confused because it did this before and we changed the thermostat and ran fine untill we parked it for the winter. It got run for 2 weeks and AWD stopped working before it sat but for now im gonna forget about the AWD untill the overheating gets solved. So i ordered another thermostat just to go ahead and swap it out..While its on the way (about 2 weeks) how do i test the fan and other stuff u listed?
FIRST make sure battery(if older battery) is holding charge,can show 12 volts,but can have a dead cell (low amperage,can have load tested at any auto parts store) Unhook fan connector and test with 12 volts direct to fan,if works,then probably radiator sensor shorted out (bottom of radiator) Sensor is what powers up the fan, don't buy another t/stat! T/stats are 9 out of 10 times NOT the problem. I replaced a lot of sensors that went bad . OPT

Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

The battery is good checked it earlier today. Ill start on that other stuff