Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLC
The Fuji 500 need Synthetic 0w-40 to get the oil to the top end (cam lobe) on cold starts as soon a possible. I would not even try the 2w-50 Polaris stuff thats made for there larger twins that are not dry sump motors like the Fuji built motors.

The are many many automotive oil filters though. I use a Fram CPH6607 because a store near by sells them along with Amsoil 0w-40.
Not a Polaris rider, so I will not comment on what oil to use, but I would definately recommend AGAINST Fram filters, they have really gone down hill the last several years, and are of poor quality. Walmart Super Tech filters are made better. I use Napa or Purlator, very good quality, in the 5-8 dollar range, Mobil 1 also makes a good filter,and there are several others, filtration, bypass capability and pressure,and construction are very important in a filter,good oil and a bad filter can leave you with a siezed engine as surely as a good filter and bad oil.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
0-40 is gone, PS4 Plus is the replacement.
Thank's that kind of what I thought .

Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help. I am going to use mobile 1 instead of polaris oil. Does anyone have a part number for a filterfor a 2011 sportsman 500? i did some searching but i am a little confused on what one i need. I am going to go with a super tech from walmart or a acdelco. Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsman09
Thanks for the help. I am going to use mobile 1 instead of polaris oil. Does anyone have a part number for a filterfor a 2011 sportsman 500? i did some searching but i am a little confused on what one i need. I am going to go with a super tech from walmart or a acdelco. Thanks
3084963 (polaris number) is one of the most common filters used by a variety of machines, For instance HF 303 Hiflow, KandN 303 ,6017 Fram,plus others from Purolator,Wix,etc,are replacements for this Polaris filter. These filters will fit numerous vehicles if you check the application chart,Even will fit my 92 honda Nighthawk 750! Hiflow and Wix my personal favorites,both good filters. Even the cheap cost super tech has been given good reviews. BUT to each his own personal preference! OPT

Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Not a Polaris rider, so I will not comment on what oil to use, but I would definitely recommend AGAINST Fram filters, they have really gone down hill the last several years, and are of poor quality. Walmart Super Tech filters are made better. I use Napa or Purlator, very good quality, in the 5-8 dollar range, Mobil 1 also makes a good filter,and there are several others, filtration, bypass capability and pressure,and construction are very important in a filter,good oil and a bad filter can leave you with a siezed engine as surely as a good filter and bad oil.
I use the WalMart (Super tech #st7317). and Mobile 1 0w40 Synth. This combination has been financially easy on the pocketbook as well as I believe the the super tech filter is better than a Polaris filter. JMO
I have been using this combo for almost three years with problems.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Add a Filter Mag if you want some extra protection FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Checking back I found that it was LUBRICATION TECHNOLOGIES,INC stickers(along with Polaris Industries decal) that were on the 55 gallon drums of bulk oil that I used in the shop. They supplied the 0-40 oil and the last drum I had before I retired was PS4PLUS (2w-50) from the same company. They could be changing companies as I speak now,don't really know any more. On the website they show they use three of the Twin Cities oil companies as there suppliers(Gopher State Oil, Hallman Oil,and Jennison Rollins Oil Company. LUBE-TECH started operations in1993) Plus they are partners with the Swiss base Motorex oil,which is what we sold the most of to KTM riders! From 1988 to 1994 don't really know who the supplier of our 2-stroke oil was(could still have been Lube-Tech) as Polaris didn't have a four stoke at that time,plus up until 1995 we used a NASTY graphite based gear case oil for all transmissions. Would actually stain you hands so bad you couldn't hardly scrub it off! OPT
Yes, I can confirm that they get the stuff from Lube-Tech. I work for a delivery service here in the Twin Cities. We get all of our fuel/oil/misc. fluids for our fleet from Lube-Tech, and they are also a customer of ours. I make deliveries for them pretty much on a daily basis, and I have seen pallets of the Polaris oil change kits in their warehouse.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil

If your machine is under warranty or extended warranty Its best to use the polaris oil and filter. If you buy the oil and filter and do the oil changes yourself keep your receipt as proof of you using there oil and filters.If you have motor or trans or gearcase problems that could be a internal lubrication problem polaris can ask for proof you are using there oil.They are getting picker on these kind of things also.We got a bulletin at the dealership from polaris a few weeks ago that the extended warranty company maybe sending a person out to look at a machine if theres problems under extended warranty. After the warranty use what ever you prefer then.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ramman67
If your machine is under warranty or extended warranty Its best to use the polaris oil and filter. If you buy the oil and filter and do the oil changes yourself keep your receipt as proof of you using there oil and filters.If you have motor or trans or gearcase problems that could be a internal lubrication problem polaris can ask for proof you are using there oil.They are getting picker on these kind of things also.We got a bulletin at the dealership from polaris a few weeks ago that the extended warranty company maybe sending a person out to look at a machine if theres problems under extended warranty. After the warranty use what ever you prefer then.
I almost always had an independent claims man representing GE come out when ever I had to crack into an engine, trans, or differential. He would come and take pics and most of the time would give me a yea or nea while he was there!(on his opinion) But would always say wait for answer from the TOP DOG at GE!!
Some yeas,a LOT of neas if water involved! OPT