Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

xplorer oil pump...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xplorer oil pump...

wuz enjoying a nice 5 hour creek bed an trail run...an motor started ticking,...stoped to check it out an no sign of any smoke! buddie had oil,. poured it in tank an shook it up,..clickin stoped,..started to puff normal 2 stroke smoke!,....so ive decided to du away with tank an pump an mix it my self!! question is,..what details do i need to pay attention to?? figure i need to plug where line goes in infront of carb,..any thing else important on this??? and what be best rato on oil mix?? 40 to 1??? thanks for any replays!!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

As you posted,just get a 6mm bolt and washer to plug off oil delivery line to carb intake and if was mine I would mix 40-1 to be on the safe side. Pumps are a problem since mounted on front of machine,subject to water and corrosion and will sometimes freeze up and not mix properly. OPT

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
As you posted,just get a 6mm bolt and washer to plug off oil delivery line to carb intake and if was mine I would mix 40-1 to be on the safe side. Pumps are a problem since mounted on front of machine,subject to water and corrosion and will sometimes freeze up and not mix properly. OPT
yeah,..it been workin,..hassle free for 2 months a poof,..tick,tick,tick....hope i herd it in time,..hate for it to lock up bout time it warms up next ride! find out tomarrow!! what works the pump?? is it machanical or vacum or????

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bigcam400
yeah,..it been workin,..hassle free for 2 months a poof,..tick,tick,tick....hope i herd it in time,..hate for it to lock up bout time it warms up next ride! find out tomarrow!! what works the pump?? is it machanical or vacum or????
The pump is operated by the throttle cable(cable splits to carb and oil pump) located on front driver side of engine,you can pull the three bolts off cover and see if pump messed up. Sometimes its just the spring that breaks on the pump or can be just frozen from water and mud. Hope this helps and engine not damaged. OPT

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

thanks man,..you have been a great help since i bought this thang!! god bless ya!!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

buy an early 500 sportsman(96) throttle cable, and do away with the split cable.
you can buy or make a oil injection block off kit, or pull the pump out, drive the pin out of the shaft and remove drive gear. reinstall pump.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

would it be ok to just drain the oil tank an mix my gas an let it go??? or do i need to un hook it all first??

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bigcam400
would it be ok to just drain the oil tank an mix my gas an let it go??? or do i need to un hook it all first??
You have to at least remove line from carb reed block and block off or air can get in system and lean it down. Even if oil pump spring is broken,the carb spring usually will be enough not to cause binding. If throttle operation feels sticky,then I would change to a single cable to carb. You don't have to remove tank, just remove oil line from tank to pump and small oil line from pump. Its not a bad idea as suggested to remove the oil pump drive gear and replace pump(acts same way as a blocking plate),its just the pump isn't doing anything but stopping oil from leaking from pump body since the oil is actually the counter balancer oil that lubes the counter balancer bearing and water pump bearing. just keep a check on oil level on c/b dipstick. I've even had guys just snip cable at oil pump,but could cause binding,NOT good! OPT

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You have to at least remove line from carb reed block and block off or air can get in system and lean it down. Even if oil pump spring is broken,the carb spring usually will be enough not to cause binding. If throttle operation feels sticky,then I would change to a single cable to carb. You don't have to remove tank, just remove oil line from tank to pump and small oil line from pump. Its not a bad idea as suggested to remove the oil pump drive gear and replace pump(acts same way as a blocking plate),its just the pump isn't doing anything but stopping oil from leaking from pump body since the oil is actually the counter balancer oil that lubes the counter balancer bearing and water pump bearing. just keep a check on oil level on c/b dipstick. I've even had guys just snip cable at oil pump,but could cause binding,NOT good! OPT
guess im gonna get anutter pump then...an just keep a bottle of oil on quad in case it quits again....

Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

for me removing drive gear, was added insurance the little pump would not seize or something. once the oil was gone and maybe water got in there.

Quick Reply: xplorer oil pump...