Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

>>>HELP on a 2000 xpedition stator problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default >>>HELP on a 2000 xpedition stator problem

So i just bought this quad. It runs. The stator and flywheel, etc. had water in them. i pulled it apart dryed off, cleaned and reassembled.
I had 12.3 volts on battery, (cause I charged it) Doesnt seem to be charging from the reading at the battery. Is this the right place to check this. It doesnt go up with acceleration either.

What is the stator reading supposed to be? ( maybe 13.2 volts?)
Where do i check this reading to get the most accurate reading?
Anybody know the color of the charge wire at the stator or the rectifier?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. did you check to see if the recifier(regulator) is working? alot of times it's the recifier that is the issue which controls amount of voltage that goes into the battery. ma ke sure it's not all corroded connections or bad connection. is there rust or anything built up on the stotor/flywheel form the water? that may effect it as well. when the bike is reved up it should be pushing 13.5 to high 14 volts when charging.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rdrew
So i just bought this quad. It runs. The stator and flywheel, etc. had water in them. i pulled it apart dryed off, cleaned and reassembled.
I had 12.3 volts on battery, (cause I charged it) Doesnt seem to be charging from the reading at the battery. Is this the right place to check this. It doesnt go up with acceleration either.

What is the stator reading supposed to be? ( maybe 13.2 volts?)
Where do i check this reading to get the most accurate reading?
Anybody know the color of the charge wire at the stator or the rectifier?

Thanks
Usually not stator as mentioned as far as charging,BUT check wiring as suggested,plus make sure red wire going into regulator/rectifier has 12volts,can disconnect and use a test light or meter. If has voltage and all wires are properly connected,battery voltage show be around 14 to 14.5 volts above idle. If not replace regulator rectifier. On a lot of atvs disconnected wire or wires from vibration common problem,hope this is all it is. Good luck OPT

Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default So WTH??

I checked the voltage on the Rectifier (red wire), it reads 47.2(+/- 1/10th volt) so does the green wire. the blk/red has 2.2v

Am I on the correct wires?

It has a:
white
wht/red
wht/green
black
blk/red
red
green
wires coming out of it. (assuming that the rectifier is near the steering stem, up top by the radiator cap, coil,etc.)

I traced a red wire to the battery side of the solenoid (along with a #2awg wire). It still reads the battery voltage (now 11.67, due to a couple of start ups, diagnosing these problem)

So am I on the right track here?
Is the rectifier bad?
If it is showing 47volts, is that the stator side of the rectifier?
Does anyone know what the readings should be on the charge wire?
what color is the charge wire?
Where does the charge wire go?
why is the green the same reading as the red?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Your on the cdi module sounds like! The regulator /rectifier is located at font of radiator,mounted sideways at radiator guard on drivers side! Should have a red,yellow,(yellow/brown OR yellow/red),green and black wires.Four (4) wires! IF red wire shows power,replace the module as they do burn out and won't charge. Expedition 325 and 425 have the same regulator,but if its a 325 Expedition,will have a hub limiter module along side the regulator. Just check the wire code,regulators will always have two yellow wires coming out of it! PS: A lot of times the RED or Green will come unplugged from vibration! OPT

Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default okay!

I am going to check that right now. i will let you know what i find.
I would also like to thank you old, bored, retired mechanics. I cant tell you how valuable your knowledge is. THANK YOU!
let you know soon

Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default rectifier readings

I found battery voltage on red wire 11.60.
*red wire was broke from loom (male end snapped in female)
all others attached and clean.
I found some negatives, ans 0's and 2.2v on the other yellow wires..
the brown was negative to i believe.
I check the red wire to the loom (stator??) and it had 11.60 volts too. So my guess is that the yellow wires should be reading 14volts or there abouts. I think the stator is out. (afterall it did have water in it.)
I looked on the wires at the rear of the stator and they seem to be ok, maybe a little warm at one point. Probably after it dryed out and fried.
So did i miss something?

So Is there a way to test the stator? (ohms maybe??)

Is the stator out?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

opt...you got any ideas?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by r8rdrew
opt...you got any ideas?
REPLACE the regulator rectifier (Can try to temporary tie the reds together and then check battery voltage while running) Has voltage on red wire you say,plus the brown is a ground wire! Yellow wires change from ac to dc voltage back to battery.Usual signs of bad reg/rectifier if not charging 14 to 14.5 volts back to battery. OPT

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will order one from Ebay. I found it for $48. You think those are of any quality?
So if that doesnt work, am I on the right track to assume the stator, as a next step

Quick Reply: >>>HELP on a 2000 xpedition stator problem