Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Radiator help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator help.

I have a 99 sportsman 500 4wd and need to remove the rad is there anyway I can do this without removing the bumper,rack, and plastics? It looks like there might be enough room but thought I`d ask before jumping into it. thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

NOPE! Have to remove rack supports,rack, bumper to be able to lift and lean radiator up out of the bottom radiator support holes. OPT

Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Darnit I was afraid id have to do that. was hoping for a cheat method. Thank you.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Update: I was able to remove the rad with everything still attached to the quad (plastics, rack& support, bumper and winch) what I did was remove the 2 bolts attaching to the frame at the bottom (I would name them the front skid plate)the 2 nuts and bolts that hold the top of the bumper and rack to the frame and the 2 bolts that hold the rack behind the upper spring mount. with all this loose I was able to tilt the winch& bumper up and forward to give me enough room to remove the radiator. I did have to take off the fan (4 bolts) and slide it back to allow enough room to remove the fan shroud. This took me about 1 hour to do. out of a beer scale 1-5 5 being the hardest I`d say it rates at a 2 and only took enough time to drink 1 beer
its not a hard job to do, you just need to see whats in the way and how move it.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by randyneff6971
Update: I was able to remove the rad with everything still attached to the quad (plastics, rack& support, bumper and winch) what I did was remove the 2 bolts attaching to the frame at the bottom (I would name them the front skid plate)the 2 nuts and bolts that hold the top of the bumper and rack to the frame and the 2 bolts that hold the rack behind the upper spring mount. with all this loose I was able to tilt the winch& bumper up and forward to give me enough room to remove the radiator. I did have to take off the fan (4 bolts) and slide it back to allow enough room to remove the fan shroud. This took me about 1 hour to do. out of a beer scale 1-5 5 being the hardest I`d say it rates at a 2 and only took enough time to drink 1 beer
its not a hard job to do, you just need to see whats in the way and how move it.
Good deal,maybe I'll start drinking again! May help me think clearer! Wasn't thinking when I said the bumper also,I just removed the rack,the two underneath rack supports,and one screw on each side of lower bumper frame and tilted bumper out also,ESPECIALLY if it had a winch! We achieved basically the same thing,But I think I could still beat you at 62!! lol Drink one for me! OPT

Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, a drinking / mechanic method test. don't know how that will come out or if i would want to drive the bike after lol.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

A few drinks after always makes the ride better. OPT this was my first attempt and I had to do it outside in the rain cause my 8X10 shed is full, I`m sure I could shave some time off if it was sunny. ether way I was happy not to have to dismantle the whole front end. the fun will be putting the new rad in in the reverse manner.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by stendori
wow, a drinking / mechanic method test. don't know how that will come out or if i would want to drive the bike after lol.
After two Shiner Bocks I would probably be done for! Doesn't mix with blood pressure medicine too good! I wouldn't trust my work either! OPT

Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by randyneff6971
A few drinks after always makes the ride better. OPT this was my first attempt and I had to do it outside in the rain cause my 8X10 shed is full, I`m sure I could shave some time off if it was sunny. ether way I was happy not to have to dismantle the whole front end. the fun will be putting the new rad in in the reverse manner.
Just be sober when you put the new one in,DON"T damage the delicate fins! Make sure you leave the radiator cap off until fan kicks on then top off coolant in radiator and recovery bottle. FINAL step is to step back,SMILE,beat your chest,and have a six pack! Good luck OPT

Old 05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, I almost never over indulge but have been known to have a couple to help the moment along
Thanks for the insight on the rad, I would guess thats burping the system???

Quick Reply: Radiator help.