Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

overheating update

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

We have even had radiator blockages from the factory,but usually its a radiator leak or damage or mud thats the common most of radiator problems! As far as head gaskets being blown, I've only had a couple and this was from getting super hot and continuing to ride! Hope you find the problem in the water pump area. Like I posted,I've found slipping impellers on the shaft, and even a couple of melted impellers because of continued riding while hot from the heat and cavitation. That could cause the engine to be hot and the radiator cool from lack of circulation!! OPT

Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened up the water pump housing and was able to get a turn on the impeller shaft. This might explain my issue. I am charging my battery now and will check later today. I hope that is all it is. I did take the battery to be tested and they said it was OK. Fingers are crossed. Update soon to follow. I hope this is clearing something up for someone else. Thanks OPT for your patience.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've got the patience! I just don't have my atv lift ,good knees, or good hands any more! Just wish I was close to ya,then we could both figure it out! Be sure to leave the radiator cap OFF until fan kicks on to get any air out! OPT

Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

No time tonight. I hear you about the knees and aches. I broke my Femur in 12 places 3 years ago racing MX. 2 years not walking will make you think. Probably never feel really good again. Just found out I need my knee fixed now. Might have to have the other one done as well since its been doing all the work for 3 years. I wish I could post an x-ray on here. Basically shattered the leg. I have gotten used to lots of pain. Maybe I should have my surgeon take a look at the quad. Through 18 screws and a rod and plate in it and see if it will work. I'll update tomorrow on the quad.
Paul

Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Old Polaris Tech, does that happen a lot, melting of the water of the propellar? If I take the cover off do I have to install a new gasket?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've had several impellers break fins,one I remember cracked in half,a couple that were loose and spun on the shaft,and a couple melted from heat(owners fault!!) this is over a period from 1996 (425 Magnum engine,ALSO in the first Rangers) to present day 500s Rangers and atvs. Over a 15 year period which isn't too bad! ALWAYS replace the gasket,cheaper than wasting antifreeze if it leaks and you have to put a new one on and more coolant(if you can't save the drained coolant) OPT

Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 04 500 that had the drive gear for the waterpump loosen and not turn the impeller well enough and it would overheat. I always wondered how it kept enough oil pressure to keep from seizing, because the they are driven off the same gear.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The gear would have to lose or break both screws that attach it to the shaft to slip?? OPT

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

How can I trace back the electrical coming to the radiator sensor. Is there a fuse or relay somewhere I can check. Just trying to rule this out as well.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

From the sensor and fan connection you can trace back and check out the plastic sealed pouch under the front panel(circuit breaker inside) to make sure it has 12 volts on both red wires going in and out! If in doubt the pouch can be slit open and you can see if the circuit breaker is corroded. This type of breaker can cut off and reset,BUT can go out! I mentioned to check this on your first post. OPT

Quick Reply: overheating update