Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Polaris Outlaw 525 S : First Ride. Likes/Dislikes and Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Polaris Outlaw 525 S : First Ride. Likes/Dislikes and Questions...

Just picked up my first new four wheeler today. After a little research I came upon the Outlaw 525. After being called the "'Worlds Fastest Production Quad" I was obviously interested. I dug a little more and found out there were quit a few problems and rider dislikes in the first gen Outlaw 450/525. Seems to me that in 09 the fixed most of them. So needless to say I went with it, after my dealer found an 09 leftover in the crate for a fair deal.

First off the SHORT list- Dislikes:
High handle bars- They seem higher than the should be to me.
Neutral is SKTECHY- I can never seem to get the fourwheeler to fall in to neutral.. going up OR down.. It just slips straight to second.
Starts Hard- It may be because it is a 2009 left over and has been sitting for a while but half of the time the thing will only start with some tension on the throttle.
Power- I will call myself a novice and I will say I may have bit off more than I can chew. Not really a dislike but Buyers beware, the thing is a handful.

Fox Podium X Shocks are a big plus. It rides and handles great.
Light- the thing is very easy to throw around in the woods
Ride height/ Ground clearance- I put it through the ringer over logs and rocks in the woods w. no problems
Tires- hook up great w.o. tearing up my lawn
REVERSE- Huge plus over alot of other 450 sized quads.. Used it a bunch already.
Again Power is a big plus- If your looking for a fast machine that is setup up to handle the power, look no further.
Capacity- It says limt of 215 lbs but I put my self 185lbs, and my woman on 120lbs, and went for a ride down some country roads and it still rode nice.

Questions-
Is neutral somthing that will "wear" in? - Seems like it got better through out the day but maybe I was getting better at it.

Starting hard- Is this common? Can I adjust the throttle cable or idle screw to remedy this problem?

Fuel- Should I run 87, 91, 93 octane?

Reccomendations on better bars?

Enjoy the writeup and Thanks in advance for the advise..

-KidFrost

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Since its an 09 I would go through the carb and check for any residue or trash especially in the pilot jet,also has a starter jet (Full throttle a couple times before you start it,activates accelerator pump,may help also on starting),but just generally clean up the carb. They were test started before shipped and this may or not have a little to do on the hard starting. As far as neutral on a lot of performance bikes neutral can be a little tricky. I "tested' one out when they first came out and noticed it would a little stiff on neutral. Found it was best to go from second gear down to neutral "gently". I couldn't hit neutral from first! maybe it will loosen up as it wears in! As far as power,brother you are right!!! One run was enough for this old man!! Bad azz KTM motor in a light frame! I believe 93 octane was recommended. Go with Hiflowfiltro oil filters,cheaper than KTM or Polaris supplied filters and just as good and we used a lot on KTM oil changes(has two filters,a long and short one) BE CAREFUL! OPT

Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

What is the top speed of the 525? I have a kfx400 now and am adding power to it here and there.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I rode the old Outlaw 500 with the Fuji motor years back, wasn't real impressed. This past March at Hatfield McCoy I rode my buddy's 525 IRS and sold my 450 when I got home. The 525 IRS is the perfect quad for a guy who loves to ride aggressive on trails and jump here and there. The 525s is also pretty bad *** for those looking for the straight axle. I picket up an '07 IRS with a bunch of work done to it and I love it.

The top speed on a stock 525 is around 73-74 MPH. Mine has full exhaust, jetting, EHS airbox lid, and I was able to get it up to 78 MPH according to my buddy who's a cop, haha he lasered us along the power lines near my house. I ride with my lady all the time, I'm 205 and she's 125. Quad pulls HARD with all that traction haha!

Here's my mud queen
Name:  mudlady.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  69.3 KB

Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

She's a "KEEPER"! The outlaw and the the wifey! Any woman that loves mud gotta be the "ideal" spouse! Congrats on both. OPT

Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

KidFrost, I forgot to mention my answer to some of your questions. I put on a Rath anti-vibe clamp with the fatty Pro-Taper bars, I really like the setup. The stock bars are junk. Also, starting the machine does get a little easier as you break them in. Keep in mind, that's a big 510cc motor. I will use the choke and a touch of throttle at times to start from cold. The only reason I'd mess with the idle screw is if the machine won't stay on once started.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

Dido on finding N from second gear, but it does break in a tiny bit.

91 octane.

Starting mine no prob. Choke and maybe a squirt of the throttle. Starts right up. I find when it's hot she doesn't want to start ritaway. Finiky motor.