Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Squealing sound on new 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing sound on new 500 HO

I put 54 miles on my 2011 500 HO on Saturday and one thing I noticed was that within the first 10 miles when I ran it in 4wd and went down a hill with no throttle I got a squealing from the front end every once in a while. By the end of the day it was gone though, I'm assuming it was just some noise from the breaking in of the front wheel drive system.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

CAN'T answer for the rest of the guys that own one like yours,BUT if not making noise now and operating properly,I wouldn't worry about it, and would ONLY if it the noise came back! OPT

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 700 used to do that. If it happens again make sure that the sound is not coming from the clutch area.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bjones12
My 02 700 used to do that. If it happens again make sure that the sound is not coming from the clutch area.

WHy is that? Mine squeals like a pig when I go downhill with no throttle (non-EBS). Is this bad?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it squealing or like a high pitch wine?alot of the sound is the belt rubbing when it's sqealing.could be the engine is not centered and the belt is rubbing one side of the clutch if it's a non ebs. just a thought.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Stendori, it is probably your belt. Do you ride in High range a lot especially over logs, up steep hills, or anytime your quad is under strain? These things will kill a belt.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Definitely a whine, doesn't to do it in low, only high and only downhill with no throttle. If you apply thorttle the whine goes away. Sounds alot like when you drive a car in reverse really fast. Only 100 miles on the belt, haven't even smoked it yet I think I'm going to take it apart and take a look-see (haven't since I put the clutch kit in).

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it wouldn't matter if in high or low for a noise as it would be there. seems like it might be coming form the transmission under a little pressure. i don't think it would be any thing to worry about unless it gets worse or changes in the sound like metal grinding or something like that. just my 2 cents

Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bgirard420
Definitely a whine, doesn't to do it in low, only high and only downhill with no throttle. If you apply thorttle the whine goes away. Sounds alot like when you drive a car in reverse really fast. Only 100 miles on the belt, haven't even smoked it yet I think I'm going to take it apart and take a look-see (haven't since I put the clutch kit in).
That's the main reason they came out with the ebs drive system,to help slow it down on hills! It was first offered on the old 400 2-stroke as an option.Then they ended up basically on the four strokes. SCARY going down steep hills on these as there was less braking from the 2-stroke engine versus a four stroke to begin with.Common complaint on the 350 and 400! To all those that own one, to actually slow it down along with braking is to give it a "little" throttle which actually works and "loads up" the clutch,BUT hard for the human mind (at least mine) to do this as it goes against your instincts in just trying to brake instead! OPT

Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
it wouldn't matter if in high or low for a noise as it would be there. seems like it might be coming form the transmission under a little pressure. i don't think it would be any thing to worry about unless it gets worse or changes in the sound like metal grinding or something like that. just my 2 cents
Thanks, this is what I thought but after seeing the earlier post I figured I would investigate. For those that are musically inclined, it goes up in pitch the faster I go, and visa-versa. I think it's louder because of the clutch kit since I didn't really notice it before.

Quick Reply: Squealing sound on new 500 HO