Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Hawkeye Stabilizer cracked...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Hawkeye Stabilizer cracked...

Polaris Parts, Polaris Snowmobile Parts, Polaris ATV Parts, Polaris Ranger Parts, Polaris Accessories at wholesale prices

Part number 2... it has a crack. If you're looking at the ATV from the back, on the left side, from the sway bar, to the forward part of that hollowed out area, there is a crack. Not sure when it happened, but I'm a bit disappointed by it. I found it just after installing my Dynojet kit, which had me pretty excited to go riding, but now I'm worried about this...

I'm wondering if this is a lot of work to replace, what may have caused it, and if it's a common issue.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Range Rover
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Was looking at it wrong the first time! We have had a couple stabilizer bars crack,but not the support. I would replace rather than take a chance on welding this support area. 50 bucks (at Cycle Parts Warehouse) isn't too unreasonable. Replacement is pretty simple,plus I would check all the bushings and replace them if needed. OPT

Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

I just bought the part, along with some steel CV guards. What bushings should I be looking at?

Thanks for the quick reply

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Items 6,7 and especially item 10. If no extreme wear on items 6 and 7,plus no cracking on the bushings(item 10) then you can reuse. OPT

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

Just curious, I was supposed to go riding tomorrow, I'm wondering what the damage would be if I rode it for like... 15 miles with the broken piece.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you've already order the part, and have some way to weld it up, I would probably throw a bead on it for the short ride. If not, I would say be careful and don't try to test what's left of the bracket and you should be fine. I will say if it was mine, I would weld and gusset it. ONLY if it's not a hardened piece. And also ONLY because I've spent the majority of my working life in custom fabrication and specialized welding processes. As long as the bracket isn't hardened it can be beveled, tig welded with a 70+ series wire, and scab plates fully welded on both sides. But like OPT said the parts are cheap enough and (seems to me) fairly easy to replace and do some preventative maintenace while in there, It would be better to replace and check the area and make everything right than to get it welded by Joe Schmoe at (random name)'s welding shop. Just my

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

Just thought I'd update this, the new part came, and It's installed. It's evident that the part was defective, just by the way it's welded. In the first picture, you can see that the weld doesn't go all the way around that half circle, it's only on the apex of the curve. On the new one, it goes all the way around, I'm expecting that got rid of the stress point.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It became defective BECAUSE of the half azz weld job! If the replacement is welded all the way around then they already knew because yours wasn't the first one to break! Manufacturers at a lot of time try to go cheap(probably saved em a little on short cutting on the welds) and it costs them in the long run if its under warranty and costs the consumer after the warranty is over! OPT

Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

Well damn, if that's the case, then I'm betting I have the propensity to get that subframe failure too... Hasn't happened yet, my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the help OPT, all the bushings looks alright, not great, but alright.

Quick Reply: Polaris Hawkeye Stabilizer cracked...