Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No Spark....Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark....Please help!!

O.k., im getting a little frusterated here any help would be great!! I have a 2003 Predator. I have rebuilt the top end, put the motor back in the frame. I have fuel, great compression and it is getting air. But im lacking spark, i have ZERO spark. I have installed a new battery and replaced the cdi. I have cut the black wire going into the cdi as "old polaris tech" has posted in other threads and still nothing. Im running out of ideas here!

Any help would REALLY be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Only thing I can tell you without a manual is to pull the plug cap,check that its around 5k ohms resistance.Can't remember if you can pull the plug wire on the Predator(or if its glued/molded in the coil) to check both ends for continuity(no shorts in wire) plus check that coil mounting bolts are tight.Plus check all ground connections.Did you have spark before you tore the engine down?? Maybe someone on the forum has a manual to give you the coil primary and secondary resistance readings.If the coil and cap checks out,then its down to the stator and check out its resistance readings if you have a new cdi!! If you are doing all this work yourself a few extra bucks on a manual is well worth it! OPT

Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Old Polaris Tech!! I do have a Clymer manual, that is how i was able to tear this motor apart and put it back together! (Im just a Diesel Mechanic, give me a Freightliner or a Kenworth and im in there! This is a little out of my game!) Anyhow, i am un aware if I had spark before tearing down.....before the lower end was stuck in gear and I couldnt get the neutral light to come on in order to turn the machine over. (unless I jumped across the starter solenoid at the battery) So I bought a used motor and rebuilt the upper end before installing. I have tried both stator covers, unless both are bad, I have somewhat ruled that out.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the RED kill switch on the handlebars ...I had trouble with mine before on my 2006 Sportsman 450.........Just a thought ............Caper.........