Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dying and not shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying and not shifting?

Hello, I just bought a 2nd hand 2001 Sportsman 500 HO with 195 hours and 1200 miles and I'm having some issues. I rode it before I bought it, and it didn't appear to have any major issues. Well, I get it the 250 miles home and went to unload it from the truck only to find that I can't get it out of reverse. While struggling I snapped the low gear shift linkage. I have found that I can shift from hi to reverse only with the motor off now. And I can barely get it to move without it bogging down and dying. I have the new linkage ready to install and adjust tomorrow. It doesn't appear to be idling high at all. I've read a few things, but there appears to be a few issues that could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated as this was purchased to help plow snow and my wife is already ticked at me for buying this only to have it break down right away. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like you need to get into the clutches and check em out. If creeping in gear,common problem on 2001-2002 models. Usually the washers in the front clutch one way bearing are worn along with clutches may need alignment. Plus these models have a problem on the gear shift boxes as they get older causing em to lock in gear,etc. When you install the new linkage rod have the gear box in neutral,remove the other linkage rod end from the shift box and turn linkage ball ends to where they drop STRAIGHT in the shift box lever with NO resistance. This may help on shifting,but you still may have to address the clutches? If shift lever has a lot of play,may be time to replace? There are quite a few posts on this problem that may help you along! Along with the clutches. OPT

Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, OPT. Yeah, it creeps forward in gear. I forgot to mention that. I'm a novice, but like to learn and wrench. I'll read up on the clutches further. Is adjusting them something that can be done myself? Or is it best left to the pros?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Problem is that creeping in forward does not explain, bogging and dying of the motor.

Mine use to creep in forward at proper idle but the ATV still spun up the dirt flew with the same power and speed it always did.

Turned out I had a bad seal behind both clutches that let dirty water in and the belt slipped on deeper water crossing. I did not fix it myself, I just got it back from the dealer they removed removed the clutches and changed the two seals and belt and cleaned the clutches.

The creeping in gear at idle and slipping in deep water is gone but the ATV still has the power and speed it always did. They told me my clutches where in great shape and I have 4000 miles on my 2001 500.

Maybe your stalling maybe this? Polaris ATV Thumb Throttle Maintenance Tips | eHow.com This happened a few times to me and have to re adjust the throttle cable.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder where it had an issue in reverse if the override is not having issues causing the bogging as he mentioned. do you know how the reverse overrdie works on a polaris wwhen in reverse or awd? just wondering if the bogging sounds the same?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I should clarify its not really bogging, more like dying. I would say its similar to killing a manual tranny.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, tonight I adjusted the idle via the throttle cable. Now it shifts, etc. fine as long as I don't turn the bars while idling... then she dies. Also I pulled off the belt and examined it and the clutches. I didn't see any evidence on either to indicate wear or damage. On a whim I flipped the belt around. It was read "polaris" upside down, now it says "polaris" when looking at the belt from beside the quad. Is there any right or wrong way to have it mounted? Thanks again for the info, I'm much less sour about my new machine now!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Normally most people have the belt oriented to where you can read Polaris facing the clutches,but still the dying problem? Do you have just the key in the ignition or on a key chain that might be just turning the switch a little? Have had people do this! Plus with the bars straight do you have 1/16-1/8" slack at the thumb throttle? If so and you turn the bars and the machine dies,possibly could have a short in the switch wiring under the headlight pod? OPT

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Is the Belt the right one, it should read 3211069. OPT, that what happen to me ,I had a key chain turning the ignition off on right turns. LOL

Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

No key chain. Yup, that's the part number. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dying and not shifting?