Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Deadshort and now NO EFI(?) Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011 | 07:58 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Deadshort and now NO EFI(?) Need Help.

Hey guys/gals,
I recently took the quad back into the swamp to retrieve a buck and ran over some small trees and sticks along with bunnyhopping logs :-0 Well, I had some sticks jammed underneath the quad and the 4-wheel drive quit working in a mud pit...no big deal...pull out the winch...OOPS, on the same fuse:-(

I must have a dead short because I put in a new fuse and it pops soon as I turn the key. I stripped the quad down and can't find any bare wires etc... In the process I pulled the wrong fuse while it was running in the garage (EFI fuse). The machine instantly shut off (fuse not blown). I put the fuse back in and now it won't fire at all. It turns over fine but it appears the fuel pump quit working(?) It sounds like it's turning on(?) Any ideas? Thanks - this site and all the help from everyone is GREAT.

Old 11-30-2011 | 09:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First I would disconnect the battery. If you have access to an air compressor,blow out all water you can from the fuse block all other connections and use nyogel electrical grease in all connections after you make sure they are dry.. While you've had the battery disconnected it may help to "reset" when you hook back up. OPT

Old 12-05-2011 | 10:17 AM
|
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First I would disconnect the battery. If you have access to an air compressor,blow out all water you can from the fuse block all other connections and use nyogel electrical grease in all connections after you make sure they are dry.. While you've had the battery disconnected it may help to "reset" when you hook back up. OPT
Thanks OPT,
Well - I diconnected the battery and hooked it back up and that "reset" the EFI - runs great. :-) Now, to find the short. Going to get some nyogel and some more fuses. Should I completely coat the fuse box in grease or just liberally coat the fuses? I am also going to by a new good quality tester to read Ohms. Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2011 | 11:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just coat the blades of the fuses and inside the fuse holder plus all the connections,just disconnect and squirt a little in each one. You don't have to go crazy with the stuff,just try to water proof best you can so the next time you go swimming it may not cause as many problems OPT

Old 12-05-2011 | 03:07 PM
|
Range Rover

Well - still baffled. Unplugged the harness running from the fuse box to the pumpkin. Can't find any defective wiring. Checked the ohms on the 2 wires running into the side of the pumpkin (4-wheel drive) and it reads 12 ohms (normal); checked the 2 wires going to the back of the pumpkin (EDC) and it reads 24 ohms (normal).

This would make me think the problem is between this connection and/or the switch itself(?) I put a new fuse in and plug this connector back in and the fuse instantly pops :-( Is there a way to test if the switch is bad? You would think I could read the Volts going to this harness and see a change when the 4 wheel or EDC switch is changed, the 2 center wires on this 4 wire plug go to the 4 wheel drive. The 2 outside wires go to the EDC. When tested the 1st wire reads 12V the second 3v the 3d 12V and the 4th 3v. Is this normal?????? There's no change in V's when the 4 wheel or EDC is engaged or off.

Old 12-05-2011 | 03:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

question. you said in the first post that you lost awd and at the same time the winch meaning same fuse blown. is this correct the winch should not have any thing to do w/ the awd power unless it was hooked up wrong> just wondering.

Old 12-06-2011 | 09:27 AM
|
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
question. you said in the first post that you lost awd and at the same time the winch meaning same fuse blown. is this correct the winch should not have any thing to do w/ the awd power unless it was hooked up wrong> just wondering.
ya - I hooked up the winch and just grabbed the first hot/ignition wire I found.