Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman wont start, no tension on pull rope

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman wont start, no tension on pull rope

Have searched other threads but need some advice.

Machine is a 1997 sportsman 500. When key turns the quad clicks. Replaced battery still clicks. Additionally there is no tension on the pull start, the rope just pulls out and retracts back in. Engine does not turn over. Is it just the starter, or more than that since the pull rope does not engage with anything?

thanks

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum!Try jumping the solenoid and see if the starter works!Plus you can use a test light to see if the starter is getting power from the solenoid. The recoil ratchet spring may have broken not allowing the ratchet to engage the flywheel or could just be rusted up inside. Just pull the recoil housing off and check. Look at the recoil breakdown at Cycle Parts Warehouse. Will show you what is involved. When/if you have to remove the inner plate on the recoil housing where the ratchet and spring are,DON'T pull up on the plastic reel as the main spring will come loose and is a bitch to rewind! OPT

Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to th forum. as opt mentioned try the solenoid first, but more then likely the starter is froze up. maybe rusted or corroded. same w/ the recoil i would guess if it ever got water in it.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for replies. Jumping the solenoid did not work so I assume its the starter. Big question- what is the difference between and $500 starter and one for $150---besides $350?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check DB electrical! You'll find one a lot cheaper than either of those prices! From $49 up.
You can try tapping on the starter and see if it works,could be just dirt/trash causing the armature to stick,but if brushes are really trashed out,worn etc,not worth messing with especially on an almost 15 year old starter and with DB's prices. OPT

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

You should still be getting a crank out of the recoil starter though. Sounds like a compression problem as well as a starter problem. Check your carburetor and make sure everything is sealed up tight. My starter has been out for years but one pull on the recoil and it cranks right up.

Chuck

Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Happy new year all. The rebuild has begun. Got the old starter out and new one bolted on. Took the pull start recoil housing off and of course the spring came unwound in my face! Is it normal for the bendix to be off center a little when lining up with the gear teeth? When pushed all the way back it hardly engages at all with the clutch? gear plate. Definitely had water in it, the whole thing is rusted. Might be stupid question but Do I need to put the recoil pull rope back together or can I just bolt the cover on? What holds the bendix in place?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the bushings in the engine case and the recoil cover that the starter bendix rides in for any burrs,chips,cracks,etc. Replace if they are. Be sure to grease the bendix up. The recoil bushing holds the bendix in place when bolted up. When the starter engages it "flings" the bendix out to engage the flywheel and retracts when the engine starts. If you don't wont to repair the rope recoil just yet you can just replace the recoil cover and use the electric start! OPT

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Success!!!!!, the 15 yr old bike has been brought to back to life. Thanks guys. Doesnt have a pull start option but it starts right up with the battery now.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Congrats! Work the bugs out around the house,but get the recoil fixed when you can! Ain't much fun stuck in the boonies with no pull start! OPT

Quick Reply: Sportsman wont start, no tension on pull rope