Ignition replacement kit HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition replacement kit HELP

Hello All,

1st post and I need some help.

I have a 2003 Sportsman 600 Twin. Recently had the CDI failure (it would only fire once and not start). Using all the great info on this forum, I quickly identified that I needed the upgrade kit, which I ordered from www.cheapcycleparts.com.

I ran into an issue on the install. When I disconnected my old CDI unit, there was a spade connector with 1 black wire going to the old CDI plug (this side was removed with the old harness) and the other side of the spade connector had 3 black wires (which is still there and they disappear into the wiring that I think goes up to the handle bars). The new stator harness does not have a spade connector, nor do the instructions mention anything about the 3 black wires tied to the other end of the spade connector (which remains and was connected to the old harness).

Is there anyone who has done this retrofit that can help me out here? Did I miss something somewhere? Sure would like to get this thing back together so I can plow some snow. Thanks for your help.

Terry

Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Think I partially under stand about the jumper harness you need,BUT if you pm " Big600twin" his memory should be a lot fresher than mine since he just replaced his kit in September! I did far more 700 kits than the 600 ones and there are some differences! OPT

Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. Your mention of jumpers reminded me about the jumpers that came with the bolts & nuts in the kit. When I looked at this originally I had not considered those (plain forgot). I was just looking at the new harness itself and did not see a connection. I will go out and take another look tomorrow (too cold and it snowing now) and see how/if those jumpers can be applied to the connection in question. If that don't work then I will give Big600twin a ping.

By the way, thanks for clearing up another question on the ground wire at the stator end of the harness. You were actually helping Big600twin out on that issue back in September. Your knowledge is appreciated...

Terry

Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

You were right on the money OPT. There was a jumper that did the trick. Got her almost all the way back together, at least enough to turn the key. She started right up, which is a 1st considering the cold weather we have (usually is a bear this time of year). Without riding her just yet, she seems to run real smooth.

I also have a 2002 Sportsman 500, but its ignition system must not have the same fail issues as the 600's (I have not seen it discussed in the forums at least). Hate to have to shell out another $450.

Thanks again for getting me back on track.

Terry

Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the Sportsman 500s most of the time either the pulser coil or the stator itself goes out.Not so much on cdis or coils. Resistance specs on these if I can remember correctly are... Pulser coil 90-115 ohms + or - 20% on the white and white/red wires leading to the cdi. Stator black and red/black wire connection at the cdi should be around 440 ohms + or - 20% Best to get the specs from a manual,can't guarantee these are right OR the wire colors ! Glad you have the 600 running,shouldn't have any problems with the Kokusan ignition system! OPT

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Just saw this posting. Glad OPT came to the rescue again. For me after the upgrade it ALWAYS starts right up. In the cold weather it was finicky, now it pops right over. Happy Wheeling!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Big600twin. I hope to get a chance to ride this weekend.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I PM'd BigTwin on this, but just in case anyone else can help with this mystery:

I got my 600 all back together (maybe), and it runs great. Its all ready to plow the next snow.

However, when I originally was trouble shooting the 1-fire no start problem (before I knew about the CDI issue), I went after the carb. I noticed a mounting bracket bolted to the back of the carb with 2 screws. This bracket looks like it is suppose to mount to the frame also, but it was just hanging in the breeze with a loose bolt and a part of what looks like a rubber grommet in one of the frame mounting holes.

I suspect my Polaris dealer at work here as they are the only ones to have serviced this thing (this is the 1st time I have torn into it myself other than oil changes). I cannot find this mounting bracket or bolts with rubber grommets in any of the parts diagrams, and I was wondering what you have on your bike and if you could describe the bolts/grommets. I do not even know what to order.

God knows how long it has been like this as it has been years since I have had it into the dealer (heck, I don't even think I have 300 hours on it). Carb seems to be held in place pretty good by the intake and air box boots for now.

I am interested in knowing just what the rubber grommets/things are on those frame mounting bolts. Or if anyone knows of a parts diagram that shows this carb mounting bracket, that would work also. Thanks in advance.

Terry

Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

These were just threaded rubber grommets that would vibrate and break off after a period of time on ALL the machines! When one came in like this,I just used a thick rubber washer under the bracket and a bolt through the bracket and flat and lock washer and nut on the other side! This works much better and lasts longer! Can't think of what the correct name for these "widgits" were,but they swelled out as the bolt was tightened,BUT didn't hold up! Also be sure to check the rubber carb adapter(especially where the carb clamp rides) for any cracks or splits. OPT

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info OPT. I will take your advice on the bolt rubber washers and nut. You are spot on about the airbox boot and intake boot rubber cracking. Even though my ATVs are stored inside (usually it is the sun that causes stuff like this), I see evidence of this. But after inspection, it is not all of the way through yet (I better get a line on some new ones though).

Quick Reply: Ignition replacement kit HELP