Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

330 Trailboss

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 Trailboss

Any one have any complaints or was there any major issues with the 04 models? Looks like a descent machine and doesn't run bad but I'm just wondering if there were any common problems with these....

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the one thing the trail boss has carried with it (in the 4 stroke version) since the beginning is it's a very cold natured quad. Once it gets warmed up, it will run fine.

May want to look at the rear shock bushing to see if it's worn.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

They are cold natured mainly because of the lean mixture setting on the carb that's blocked off (can be removed and richen it up) plus fans do not come on that much(nothing to worry about) it's just the oil cooled system doesn't get hot enough at times to kick the fan on. If it ever gets hot and the fan doesn't kick on usually it's a faulty oil cooler sensor. 2004 model had the updated oil lines,but keep a check on the hose spring clamps and hoses at the oil cooler for any leaks. Overall they were good machines as Scootergptx remarked. OPT

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
They are cold natured mainly because of the lean mixture setting on the carb that's blocked off (can be removed and richen it up) plus fans do not come on that much(nothing to worry about) it's just the oil cooled system doesn't get hot enough at times to kick the fan on. If it ever gets hot and the fan doesn't kick on usually it's a faulty oil cooler sensor. 2004 model had the updated oil lines,but keep a check on the hose spring clamps and hoses at the oil cooler for any leaks. Overall they were good machines as Scootergptx remarked. OPT
Yup....... I have one. Great machine. Hated the time it took to warm up so I removed the plug from mixture screw, richened it up. Dynojet Main, needle and spring. If you set the needle 2 notches richer than dynojet specs, it starts and runs perfect.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

well I'm glad you guys are talking highly of it... I just bought an 05' last night for the wifey and she's happy with it but I just wanted to make sure there were no querks or serious problems with this quad... It does seem a bit cold natured but seems to worm up fairly quickly. I might try the dynojet kit eventually but she has to get used to the 4wheeler yet so we'll see how it goes... Thanks for the response! I always know where to come for insight and advice about this (sometimes) expensive hobby

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Not sure what a dyno kit is selling for these days, but buying jets by themselves might be cheaper. Seems they were 4 or 5 bucks a piece last time I bought any.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can jump the pilot up to a #45 from # 42.5 if you want to,but this size is usually good enough if you just drill out the plug over the fuel/air mixture screw and see first how many turns out from lightly seated position the mixture screw is. I've found one about 1/2 turn out and one almost closed! Just turn out to two turns for a base line and if you have the carb tool or small fingers and a small short screw driver you can fine tune it.You can also raise the carb needle one notch along with the adjustment.This along with adjusting the fuel mixture will make it warm up twice as quick as before and a little better throttle response. You're paying mostly for the titanium needle in the jet kits! Not really necessary! OPT

Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You can jump the pilot up to a #45 from # 42.5 if you want to,but this size is usually good enough if you just drill out the plug over the fuel/air mixture screw and see first how many turns out from lightly seated position the mixture screw is. I've found one about 1/2 turn out and one almost closed! Just turn out to two turns for a base line and if you have the carb tool or small fingers and a small short screw driver you can fine tune it.You can also raise the carb needle one notch along with the adjustment.This along with adjusting the fuel mixture will make it warm up twice as quick as before and a little better throttle response. You're paying mostly for the titanium needle in the jet kits! Not really necessary! OPT
wow... I'm good with not having to buy an entire kit for it. Like I said it's the wife's. With that said, I don't know ANY guy that wouldn't want to make her ride "better" than what it is when they got it for her. I've noticed that it is pretty well cold natured from the start and will probably try to find the plug over the mixture screw tomorrow and see where it goes from there as well as moving the needle up one clip and see how it reacts without a jet and if it improves then I'll get a jet. Thanks for ALL the help everybody! I'm just tryin to keep momma happy.... Like all of ya'll know, If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You have to remove the carb(cables don't have to be removed)turn carb to the side and use a small drill to go through the plug at the front of the carb,BUT you have to be careful and when it slowly goes through the plug STOP! You don't want to damage the mixture screw head. Then just use a drywall screw and just screw in far enough so you can wiggle the plug out with a pair of pliers. FIRST lightly turn in counting the turns until the screw lightly seats.Most of the ones I've done this to have been less than 2 turns,some barely open. Just turn out 2 turns from a lightly seated position. This is a general base point and depending on how it runs, you may not have to change this setting much. Then just remove the top cap,spring and slide and LOWER the needle clip one notch.(this will help on idle up to 1/4 throttle, then the main jet takes over for the most part) Put it back together and reinstall the carb. See if this helps. OPT

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a plan. I'll do all of that minus the jet (unless they have the 42.5 in stock at my closest dealer tomorrow) and see how it goes. I guess I'm going to have to see who makes an aftermarket exhaust for the bike as well. She said "Can I get a muffler that sounds deeper and better for it, kind of like your flowmasters on your truck?"... I said I doubt anything will make it sound like that but, I'll see what I can find. I gotta love her A woman that wants to "hear" herself riding down the trail or wherever. LOL But I know that in the true spirit of atving I've got to keep it somewhat quiet to keep all of our priveliges to ride.... but I gotta keep her happy too

Quick Reply: 330 Trailboss