Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We keep our spare key in the top the shifter.(just pop the top off and put key in there)Was hunting one year and lost key.Endend up walking about ten miles back to truck.That when I decided to do this.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

We keep the spare key in the shifter ****. Just pop top and put spare key in there..After loosing key while hunting and walking ten miles back to camp I came up ith this Idea..

Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DELUX500EFI
We keep the spare key in the shifter ****. Just pop top and put spare key in there..After loosing key while hunting and walking ten miles back to camp I came up ith this Idea..
Good idea! Inventiveness come from stress,adversity, futility and laziness at times ! At least it usually did with me. Used a small portable tool chest to carry my most used tools around so I wouldn't have to keep going back to my big tool chest and could take it to the parking lot or wherever I had to use it. My other techs caught on to the same idea pretty quick!. OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I keep my key on a lanyard when I stop somewhere it gets pulled and put around my neck a friend of mifne doesnt have a ring or anything on his and has lost 3 keys in the past 2 years. when I bought my quad the dealer told me that the key had a vin number on it and I can order a new key with that number if I lost 1 or both keys

Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by irinman2424
I keep my key on a lanyard when I stop somewhere it gets pulled and put around my neck a friend of mifne doesnt have a ring or anything on his and has lost 3 keys in the past 2 years. when I bought my quad the dealer told me that the key had a vin number on it and I can order a new key with that number if I lost 1 or both keys
You have a four digit number on your key (example 1121,2114,etc) that is for the blank key for that particular ignition switch not for the machine vin #. You can even write it down in your owners manual,but if you don't have the original key to cut the blank, then you have to use a locksmith or buy a new switch! Damned if you do,damned if you don't That's why all switches for a certain atv have the same part number in the parts break down when you order one,but the internals and keys are different on every one just like car ignition switches. OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

ok must have been a missunderstanding in how he described it to me as I was under the impression that with that number I could order a key for my machine from polaris

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by irinman2424
ok must have been a missunderstanding in how he described it to me as I was under the impression that with that number I could order a key for my machine from polaris
It's possible that Polaris keeps enough build info on the mfg of each machine to do this if you lost both keys and didn't have the key number ,but we were told to inform the customers to write down the number on the key in a safe place along with any extra keys in case one was lost or you just wanted to make another one.Then you could order a blank from the dealer! The build sheet that we got with each machine told the pertinent facts,engine size,vin #,date of mfg,etc,but don't remember if key # was on it or not? Really think this was up to the owner,but could be wrong! Even when I pulled up vin #'s at work,just showed original owner,address, model, date built and sold,and any bulletins completed or not if applicable and any warranty work,and if machine was in or out of warranty,couldn't go any deeper than that. STILL the fact is even if they had the blank number for you IF you lost both keys,you would still have to have a key to cut a new one or a locksmith which would most likely cost more than a new switch!. This might be something I can check into with the parts man at my old shop. OPT

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

I ride with anywhere from 20-25 different riders (all Polaris atv's)On one the rides we all tried each others keys in the other atv's.Not one single key would start the other persons atv.At one time in late 70's My Ford F150 key would work in my wife's Mustang..Have tried it since(many Ford trucks and cars annd no luck)..