Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Good advice to all Polaris 4 stroke single owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good advice to all Polaris 4 stroke single owners.

If you own a Polaris with a Fuji built 425,455 or 500 (any year). Silicon the pull rope handle over the recoils rope hole. Its the only place where water can enter and get moisture on the Stator,pulse coil,Bendix and flywheel all of which would rather stay dry.

Stock it relies on the tight friction fit and ring around the rope handle to do the job, and I can tell you it does not do it 100% water tight. Just pull the rope up and look at it if it looks damp or wet its letting moisture in.

Any ways I did mine 3 year ago and broke my silicon seal to take a look and its the first time I seen my pull rope bone dry.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think my 2012 500 HO has a pull rope, haven't noticed one anyways?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 500H.O.
I don't think my 2012 500 HO has a pull rope, haven't noticed one anyways?
No yours doesn't,but if I owned one I would pull the cover also (recoil equipped or just the cover itself like yours) and seal it up with rtv really good all around as the thin layer the factory puts on is a joke! That along with what TLC suggested on sealing the recoil handle. They had a drain bolt on the bottom of the cover that hardly anyone knew about or took the time to drain. This way you have a lot more protection on water from the recoil and the cover itself. PS: a recoil assembly comes in handy,especially with a dead battery, stuck out on the boonies! Well worth the 200 bucks online,you might want to consider this and save up for one! OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was lucky on my pull ropes when i went through water up to the seat i never had any get in,but my handle was a good tight fit. not a bad idea for extra protection.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
No yours doesn't,but if I owned one I would pull the cover also (recoil equipped or just the cover itself like yours) and seal it up with rtv really good all around as the thin layer the factory puts on is a joke! That along with what TLC suggested on sealing the recoil handle. They had a drain bolt on the bottom of the cover that hardly anyone knew about or took the time to drain. This way you have a lot more protection on water from the recoil and the cover itself. PS: a recoil assembly comes in handy,especially with a dead battery, stuck out on the boonies! Well worth the 200 bucks online,you might want to consider this and save up for one! OPT
hello, mr. opt;

i have done some online research as to this, and are you confirming that you can bolt a recoil assembly from an older machine onto a machine without one?

i would love to have one on my '10 500HO. any insight onto what years would be best?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

We replaced the flywheel cover with on a 2008 and 2009 with recoil assemblies and sold some over the counter. The flywheels are the same(has the tabs on the flywheel for the recoil ratchet lever) just a simple bolt on when you order the complete recoil assembly. Little over $200 at Cycle Parts Warehouse. Just Polaris skimping,cutting costs by not having them! OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

so it appears part number 3090085 is the complete recoil assembly that was used on a 2008 sportsman 500ho. so you are thinking there is no reason that shouldnt bolt onto my '10 500HO?

not having a manual starting backup worries me quite a bit

Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes #3090085 is the substitute for #3087163 listed in the parts catalog and yes this is the one or even earlier used models will work,(unless you can find a GOOD one on Ebay,just get a new one,used ones can be expensive to repair if you get a bad one!). The new recoil assembly bolts right up! It may or may not come with the drain bolt and washer,but it's the same size as the top bolt in the blank cover for checking timing(that you will need to transfer over to the new recoil assy) and you can find one at a hardware store if you don't order one. Use the blank recoil cover as a big ash tray if you smoke or as a big paper weight and be sure to seal up the new recoil thoroughly!! OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

this would be nice to have, as my 2012 does not have one

Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

What about putting some sealant on where the wires go in the starter? That has an opening it can into.

I had to learn about the drain the hard way. Last fall, I had to replace the starter, pull rope, bendix, and solenoid, clean the stator and everything. Pain in the but a little preventative maintenance would have stopped. If I would have taken care of the pull rope, and used the drain plug, I would not have had as bad of a problem.

Good advice OP.

Quick Reply: Good advice to all Polaris 4 stroke single owners.