Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starting slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting slow

all winter the quad has started and idled right around 1100 RPM since we had over 70 degree weather yesterday and last couple days I noticed when I start it it cranks hard (almost as though its starving for gas or starting to flood out) if I try and "blip" the throttle it clunks and loose all power have to turn key off and back on a couple times to get it to turn over again and when it starts its only idling about 950 RPM. is this something as simple as a carb adjustment or is it something else that I need to look at???

Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Just try to idle the carb up (if it's a carb model?). Plus have you been running the atv often or has it been sitting a lot? Plus do you run any kind of fuel preservative? Also could be something simple as changing the plug? Battery connections tight and on a maintainer too? OPT

Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

it is a carb on it I run it enough to put about a tank of gas through it each month even over the winter so I dont add any preservatives to it if it sat more than a week without running it I would add stabil to it but it dont sit that long battery is good I use a battery tender all the time I was thinking about changing the plug this weekend in it and change the oil to get ready for this summer to me its strange that colder weather it started and ran fine as soon as the weather warmed up it started acting up

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Warm and cold weather affect the engine.They run a little leaner in cold weather,richer in warm weather! Same thing as altitude affects the carb! Just do a simple plug change,fresh fuel and run the devil out of it,then adjust the idle. See if it helps! OPT

Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

GGGRRRRRRR!!!!! just found my problem the retainer spring for the throttle adjuster is broke again and bouncing on the starter again so time to break out the zip ties and get it back up again this is the 2nd retainer spring I have put on it so I am done paying to have a new one put on just to break again

Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's why I like the old BST34 carb with the straight idle adjuster instead of the BST40 with the curved wire idle adjuster! They would break the wire spring holder on the carb bottom,people would either zip tie em up or not notice and wonder why the idle kept changing! Plus they have a habit of corroding up and stripping if you don't take the carb side cover off and keep em lubed up every now and then. Ain't cheap what Polaris wants for these if you lose them either! Glad you found the main problem! OPT

Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

well I wrapped a zip tie around the adjuster put another one through it and up to the spring and zipped them together nice and tight adjusted the idle to 1100 RPM and its starting like new again. one thing I noticed and will get a new one was the pre filter had a coating of like carbon on it so took it off and washed it good until I can get one this weekend which I am assuming thats because of the idle being out of whack

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lot of times the crank case vent over a period of times coats the prefilter with oil mist and as dirt hits it it just cakes up. Check it more often plus make sure the oil tank isn't over filled. OPT

Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

durring summer when I put MILES and MILES on it I clean or replace every 2 weeks over winter I put about 160 miles on it over the winter so I didnt mess with the air filter that much with lower ride times. when I pulled it off and shook it it was almost like I stuck my hand up a chimney all black and sooty took the pre filter in washed with warm water and dawn let it air dry as I zip tied the adjuster and reinstalled it

Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My curved wire adjuster broke off 4 years ago. When I take the the side cover off I can just fit my hand on the idle screw to turn it now. I fool with in about once ever few months ,I guess the motor vibration knocks the idle setting out after awhile and always to a lower rpm.

I might take the idle screw out put some "loctite" and set the idle up once and for all. LOL