Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

I went in and ordered the new air filter today I was disappointed that the only options at my local dealer was 1 factory paper and 2 K&N no other options was available so I ordered the K&N and Pre filter for it I will have to keep on top of it but should last me longer than getting 2 paper filters per year just have to make sure I am doing my maintenance on it but like anything else the maintenance on the quad I am shall I say **** about so it shouldnt be an issue

Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think you will want to be with the k&n filter for protection.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

well its to each his own on preference I was told to get another brand and it was listed on their website but when I got there it wasnt available for order or in stock. so went with the better of the 2 that was available which was K&N or stock gee no brainer

Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'm not completely sold on the idea of a k&n for my quad. My cummins has a monster k&n like filter which breaths far better than an old paper filter but it's on the road most of the time, not a dusty trail. I've read articles and also been told by a couple different motorsports mechanics that the k&n breath too well and potentially let some of the superfine dust particles get through which in the long run starts wearing on the inner components of the engine. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it's something to think about.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by readymixer169
I'm not completely sold on the idea of a k&n for my quad. My cummins has a monster k&n like filter which breaths far better than an old paper filter but it's on the road most of the time, not a dusty trail. I've read articles and also been told by a couple different motorsports mechanics that the k&n breath too well and potentially let some of the superfine dust particles get through which in the long run starts wearing on the inner components of the engine. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it's something to think about.
Makes sense, if it breaths better with less restriction it has to pay for it somewhere, with every advantage comes a disadvantage.

I still vacuum and clean the stock paper one so I get more life out of it.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're really **** about cleaning and oiling filters then a K&N probably will be ok,but I've see plenty that weren't even with socks on em. It's not normal to have to put a new top end on a 2010 Sportsman 500 (in 2011) like I had to do because of a neglected filter,even a factory filter would just clog and bog down,but the K&N just lets too much air in and with the extra air comes an extra amount of dirt and grit. I think fine for the street,but my argument against these are if they were that good you would see them in almost every racing dirt bike and atv and not the foam air filters that most of them use! I know people will have their own opinion and this is just mine! I've even got an UNI foam filter in my old Nighthawk! You still have to clean and oil em, just as you do a K&N,but they trap so much more dirt and grit. Again just my OPT

Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

I did spend the extra $23 and ordered the sock for it. the paper filters I take off and clean them and try to reuse them I take it off every time I take any ride more than around the yard and vacuum them off (hence the statement that I am **** about it) they did not have the Uni filters nor could they order them or I would have got one of them. to get it from a parts store I need specifics (intake size length and diameter of the filter for them to order one and they wouldnt use the dimensions of the factory filter) which I do not have so went with the best I could will have to see if I am not happy with it then I will find something else from somewhere else

Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irinman2424
well its to each his own on preference I was told to get another brand and it was listed on their website but when I got there it wasnt available for order or in stock. so went with the better of the 2 that was available which was K&N or stock gee no brainer
ya your right it's a no brainer, not to put a uni or k&n filter on a vechical that is in real dirty condtions. as stated in the other post the fine dust particals get in and will take out the rings and damage the cyclinder walls(seen it done before) from wearing on them. so in my own opinion, it's not worth the very little air flow gain you get to replace the stock paper filter with others.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I've had a K&N filter and an Outerwear pre filter on my atv since 2004. Most of my time is spent in on dirt trails and I haven't had any issues. I do inspect and clean it twice a year...

Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

In 13,200 miles I only went though 4 OEM paper filters I replaced them once a year or roughly every 4000 miles . The pre-filter I only had two I'd installed a clean one every week or two and then cleaned the other so it was ready to go again . I seen no reason to go another route other than stock .

Quick Reply: air filter