Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Hawkeye NO SPARK! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Hawkeye NO SPARK! HELP!

New to the forum, used this site many times for info but never actually made an account because I've been able to solve all my problems before this with the info I could find!

Pulled my quad out of the shop this spring and the battery was dead (probably froze) so i boosted it (with a vehical NOT running) and got it going ran it around for about half an hour then I parked it. Rode it around like this 2 other times I think. Then one time I went to start it up and it wouldn't start, starter turned over but wouldn't start. So hauled it back into the shop and found out it wasn't getting any spark. I pulled out the spark plug hooked it up the wire to it, touched it on the block and turned over, no spark. So did some volt testing, i'm getting 0.01-0.03 V on the spark plug wire. I'm assuming this isn't enough for a spark... as it is not sparking.
So what i'm trying to figure out is where is my problem?
-opened up the recoil and checked the stator area, it was all clean in there (is there anything else to check for?)
- is it the CDI? (not sure how to test that)
-or is it the ignition coil

I would really like to get this thing working again! The beautiful weather needs to be taken advantage of !
any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Best if you get the shop manual to get the resistance specs on the stator wiring,coil, etc before you start throwing parts at it. Sounds like its possible the cdi may have been damaged by the jump start,but this is just guessing without eliminating the stator especially. You can pull the plug cap and check if the bare wire has spark since it has a resistor cap and they can go out. OR it could be as simple as installing a new battery if you haven't done so! OPT

Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips! SO chances are it is not the ignition coil??? Also where abouts would you test the stator resistence, at the clip at the CDI box? Never heard of a resistor cap... what exactly is that? is it needed for the spark plug to work on these quads? The person before me had done something with the spark plug wire, it was cut and another wire was crimped in going to the spark plug (maybe the original wire broke???) this worked fine until it quit running recently.
Also I put in a new battery already.
Just out of curiosity, would you know the wiring works on these machines? Does the spark power come directly from the stator? or does the stator charge the battery and then the battery gives the power to the spark? I'm thinking direct from stator....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like you need a manual It gets a small charge from the stator to the cdi plus also to the regulator/rectifier which charges the battery. The cdi controls spark advance and timing(replaces the old points and condenser)and sends the signal to the coil which boosts the spark for the engine to fire. Most all machines now have resistor plug caps. They are usually dependable but can short out. Just pull the cap and see if you have spark with the bare wire grounded. Recheck the wire from the coil that previous owner messed with first. If all checks out but still no spark, then you need the ohms resistance specs for the stator wiring going into the cdi to see if it is the problem. Plus the manual can give you specs on the coil resistance ohms. Most manuals don't give cdi specs but if stator and coil checks out,then could be a cdi problem especially since it was jump started with a car battery. OPT

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I was getting a varying volt reading on the spark plug wire when I turned over the starter (0.1-.3 volts). This must have to be higher for the spark to spark SO does this mean that it's the unboosted signal from the CDI that the ignition coil isn't boosting?
hopefully i can get this figured out soon!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It could be a problem from the stator to the cdi or cdi itself. Plus most shops do have coil checkers to eliminate this as a problem area. If the coil does check out,then you need the stator specs instead of guessing or buying both a cdi and stator assembly. OPT

Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I finally got an ignition coil, I put the new one in and it did not fix the problem sadly... I have a 0.04 volt reading at the end of the coil wire but no spark still. So I think my coil was fine...
So now i'm down to the stator or CDI box (fingers crossed it's the CDI!). It would seem it's the stator though, cuz I could not get a volt reading out of it from the clip going to the CDI when it was cranking over. Is there any way around getting a new stator? can they be rebuilt or anything?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You could have had the coil checked out at most cycle shops to eliminate this as a problem!! An online manual would cost less than a new coil and could give you the stator resistance specs so you wouldn't be throwing parts at it. This is a Korean built engine and the electronics aren't cheap. The stator is over $400 and the cdi is around $230 at Cycle Parts Warehouse(one of the cheapest places online). It could be just a short or something else and a manual would at least help. OPT

Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I bought a manual, and finally got spark by adjusting my throttle cable slack, turns out it was the ETC preventing it from sparking! BUT now that i got spark its still not starting... My first thought was the gas was stale, so i drained it. Then with new fuel in it I took off the fuel line right at the carb and turned it over and got fuel and I also took the spark plug out and could smell fuel on it. Really confused on why its not starting, it would seem I would have spark and fuel and i'm assuming air but no running engine any ideas on whats the problem?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have you cleaned the carb? Made sure the air filter is clean? New spark plug? You say you have spark and fuel supply to carb. Could be as simple as this if it's been sitting a while with the ethanol fuel we have today. Can gum up jets and cause float needles to stick within a short period of time. OPT