Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 400 scrambler ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM
pbr
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 400 scrambler ?

I picked up a scrambler in a trade > Has newer Plastics , Got it runinng good after freeing up choke . It needs a new clutch cover . Found out that ther is only 1 avl for this model and yr 95 400 4x4 . I have read that some people have changed inner and outer cover on different models > Can this be done on the 400? Also it was hard to shift . Now it dose nothing when moveing shifter handel. Acts like it not hooked up any Ideals? Only other thing it needs is swing arm bushings A buddy let my son ride his 98 400 scranbler and he realy liked it > we have an 98 300 epress and an 01 xpediton been great atvs Just don't know if I want to through $$s at a frist year bike that seems parts are a little harder to come by Thanks for any help on this one

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure I understand all of your post.

Clutch covers did change a bit over the years. But inner and outer covers can be interchanged. They added bolts over the years to hold them together better, but they didn't change the locations of ones already there. my inner has three of four more holes than the outer. the early ones used spacers between the inner cover and the frame on the rear three mounting bolts. There is probably even more that will work, but every cover for every two-stroke should work.

Not sure about the shiflter prob. pretty simple on that unit, no shifter box for low gear.
Could the bell crank on the shifter shaft on the tranny be stripped?

Is it actually the swingarm bushings, they are common to have the bolts come loose.
I have started using a reg nut machined down a little to fit. Then cross drilled through both nut and bolt for a cotter key. Done easiest with the swingarm out and just the bolts, pin, washers. torque the bolts to spec. then drill. fully assemble torque bolts find the hole, they won't loosen off after this. I had tried new nylock nuts, didn't last for me.

The 95 scrambler wasn't a new quad, just a trailboss/sportsman/400l 4x4/xplorer. with fancy plastic.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
pbr
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Will check the swing arm bolts .

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

there is also the lock washers on the bolt side of swingarm pivot. still not great.
marking the bolts for a crosshole for use with a castle nut would also be a great idea.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
pbr
Weekend Warrior

found shifter problem split bell crank. Looks like right side swing arm bushing are worn

Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Yes right side seems to have more problems, both with bushing wear and loose bolts.
It can wear the hole in the frame as well. One of mine has a sleeve in the frame to fix it. Another has the holes drilled out round., and a custom bolt machined to fit.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
pbr
Weekend Warrior

well bit the bullet and ordered 200 worth of parts should put it good shape. will have 600 in it total

Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbe polaris 400

hello everybody, i'm brand new to the forum. Not to sure if should post here or where to do it yet. i just picked up a sportsman 4x4 400 i think its a 97 not to sure where the serial number or model number is but its pretty clean machine and not many miles on it. i don't have a manual yet for it and i'm curious if there are any major issues with these machines. It came with a winch, plow and a trailer so it should be a huge help clearing my property.
Cheers
Charlie S.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

well lots of little things with these things.
keep the chains tight, the counterbalance oil clean and don't let the piston skirt break off.
most things are greasable, and front wheel bearings are lubed by oil.
So they don't have wheel bearing and axle problems like newer stuff.

the chains are tuff, but don't let them get loose and jump.
back chain approximate three fingers of play at halfway point between sporckets, should get you the reccomended 1/4" slack with suspension bottomed.
So 1/4" to 1/2" play on front ones. adjust middle first then the front.
back doesn't matter if you do it before or after, but it will need adjusting more often then the others.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks Mr.twostroke thats good to hear. I started to grease and wipe the machine down looks pretty new, minor rust on some of the bolts but the chains and sprockets look good almost new. I think the guy who had it before me babied it, he was sad to see it go.I did find a broken mount for the back rack no big deal but i'm just going to wait to get the manual. Just did the once over before it took it out for a burn. Way to cool i didn't hot rod much but enough to put a scare in me. ok later and thanks again
charlie S.

Quick Reply: 95 400 scrambler ?