Old 08-02-1999, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to set my 350X up for the road,
then some jerk stole it! It's easier to
get a 3 wheeler registered for the road
because trikes are considered to be
motorcycles by most DMV's. Biker's have
been making trikes for the road for years.

I think we should be allowed to go to a
trail down the side of the road if we go
slow. I have to walk mine to the trail.
I used to ride it real slow, like 5 mph,
but the cops didn't like that. I'm a
responsible adult, it's not like I'm a
kid tearing down the street. Wait a
minute, there is a pack of those on
three wheelers. They ride double right
down the road and never get stopped.
Meanwhile I can't go 5 mph down the
sidewalk. But my uncle's not a cop.

How about 4TOGO for a plate?

Andy Z.
'98 Scrambler 400

[This message has been edited by atvguy (edited 08-02-1999).]

Old 08-03-1999, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jerome, I do not have a problem driving on the road (the back roads) here in NC on my ATV's. That’s only because we farm, and have around 2,800 acres. I have been stopped by the DMV, highway patrol, and sheriff and I plainly told them "am having to check on my equipment", "having to check on my crops", "or to just pick something up that I have left behind", after I tell them that; they do not give me no trouble at all, and let me go on my way.

I did know a guy that did the same thing you are doing though. I recall that he had to add a mirror to his ATV. I do not think you mentioned adding a mirror, but this guy had too.

Usually around here, the police do not care if you drive on the road (the back roads) anyway as long as you stay to the side, keep it slow, and your not driving on the Interstate, or main highway.

The only time I recall that the police gave any trouble to ATVers on a back road (and I was involved) was when one neighbor constantly called the police complaining about us riding on the road. He only did it cause he did not like Scott that road with us, and he had a house right beside that person. I did not get stopped, I plainly drove away into the woods were the police could not follow me. Scott did get into trouble, and was taken to court about the whole deal, only cause he ran from the police (he drove a 97 wolverine). I didn't know the whole deal but I think he has sold it, along with Randy (he had a 4004X4 sportsman), he stayed right down the road from Scott. Luckily I didn't have any trouble with this incident so am in the clear.

Hope all goes well with your “road equipped ATV” Jerome.

Arron

Old 08-03-1999, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

The trail has grown cold. 2 weeks ago the NCDMV issued a letter to all Inspectors that if owners of Golf-Carts, Trikes, ATVs or any other special vehicle wished to register them for HWY use, they first had to have a statement from the manufacturer stating it was road worthy & had to come from the factory with all the lights, turn signals, etc. Oh well, now I know. I'm not disappointed I didn't learn sooner because they are going to issue a recall for the sworm of golf carts they registered in NC over the past 6 months. Now those people will be pi**ed off!! My next adventure is to install the K&N Jet Kit Willie talked about. If its as good as he says, I shouldn't be disappointed. I'll let you know.

Jerome Coker
'99 500 & 400 Scramblers

Old 08-03-1999, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, Jerome. I hope you aren't flamed for telling it like it is by those who wish they COULD make quads street-legal.

On the jet kit, interesting post by Willie. I wish he had posted "before" and "after" dragstrip run elapsed times and top speeds in his post. Maybe you can share some tangible comparative performance data with your project. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 08-06-1999, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer,

If I remember right, Will only has "before" runs as of right now. I hope to see "after" runs soon.

Adam Dowden

Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

"FourReal", Kinda corny but just off the top of my head.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Or "ATVision" as a plate name

Old 01-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I see a thread title and think, "Oh, I remember that one.". This wasn't one of them. I wasn't a member 19 years ago when it was posted.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah another old "make my atv street legal thread". The only way you can make them street legal is if the town just simply allows them. There's nothing you can do otherwise. A lot of tiny towns just simply look the other way if you stay off main roads and highways. Or if you simply live outside city limits, then its unlikely police will ever bother you anyway. They're not coming out where you live unless somebody calls them. Especially in our state of Illinois which seems to never have any money, registering and licencing them like automobiles would generate a lot of extra revenue. But it will never happen. The best would be individual townships allowing limited access to secondary roads. It has happened some with utvs which everyone seems to accept more than atvs. A full cage, doors, seatbelts and larger size seems to make them more acceptable to being semi street legal over atvs.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can have street legal quads in Europe but nowhere in the U.S. that I know of. Anything with 4 wheels can't be registered as a motorcycle. And they wouldn't survive a crash test like a car in government required tests. That may be one reason they aren't street legal. Some towns near trails can and do allow ATVs to ride right down the road to get to gas stations, but they still aren't street legal.

Police and local governments can choose not to enforce the law about ATVs on the street, just like they can ignore any other law. Some places the cops won't even say anything if they see you smoking pot but that doesn't mean it's legal. Different places have their own priorities about which laws they enforce.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Scrambler 500 in NC!!