Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

just bought a used sportsman 500 has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a used sportsman 500 has an issue

I just bought a sportsman 500 from a guy at my work. He tells me that it overheated because the fan won't turn on and it blew out the light bulb he thinks its a stator. He thinks its a 1999. Anyways I go over to his house and I check it out. He wants 500 firm for it. Comes with Polaris plow that's nice a winch is on it, aluminum Polaris wheels that look Sharp and pretty decent tires with aggresive tread on them and a back seat with storage. We pull started it and it didnt take many pulls and it started up fine and it idles smooth. Plastics are good. He said it sat for a year in his garage. I look underneath no signs of leaks or any fluid stains on the ground. The cv boots are dry Soo they look good. I didn't get a chance to try out the gears forward or reverse or what year it is but I think i got a good deal. I paid 250 this Friday and another 250 next Friday and I can take her home. I didn't get a chance to take any pics yet. Now what do you think could be wrong with it ? Stator or maybe the cdi box coil ?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome! Have to have a good battery or you will blow out the lights,plus the 4 wheel drive has to have power to operate also,and the fan has to have 12 volts to kick on.. If it starts the stator is ok, I'd at least see if the starter works with a good battery(you can check if it's charging back to the battery also if you bring along a volt meter). Not a deal breaker if starter doesn't work,there is a good place to get em pretty cheap. The main issue on all the Sportsman 500s up to 2001 was soft cams that wear down. Plus it will have u-joint drive shafts versus the more modern cv joint drive shafts (these can be expensive if you have to replace and can't rebuild with new u joint kits if needed) Check the rear drive shafts for excessive play at the transmission and at the wheel hub. Expect the unexpected with older machines no matter what the brand. But at 500 bucks and it runs,is one good sign. PLUS get a good manual and read it. Plus a title to the machine is a must in some places now! SORRY! If it is at least a 1999 you do have the newer cv drive shafts,NOT the older u joint drive shafts! OPT

Last edited by old polaris tech; 09-30-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: I was wrong on the drive shafts!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot for the reply OPT. Soo since i was able to pull start it the stator is alright, soo it might be the battery or starter ? I have a multi meter soo i will check things out. Could it be a voltage regulator ? I will check those things out when i bring her home. I'll see what year it is, now where do i look for the year ? steering colum ? soo 1999+ is the better joint driveshafts ? Well if the cam is worn out i can always get a 500 HO cam right ?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's why I said to check the voltage at the battery while running. If not charging,possible voltage regulator (no big deal) Look on the left front lower frame behind the a arm for the etched vin # ,plus the recoil should have an engine # sticker,first two digits are the year model. If the exhaust cam was worn,I always replaced with the updated (3086212) cam. I'm sure others have replaced with the 2001 HO cam,I just never did. OPT

Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay i got her home she is a 1999. heres a pic of her. I'm guessing when the light blew it was the top one on the handle bars, cause the housing seems loose and soo does the light. Also the speedo and the indication lights dont work like when its in N. Soo the guy probably took it off and checked out the light. This thing will start right up with one pull and runs smooth. When i get some more spare time i gotta see whats going on with her. Might be the battery idk yet. i should probably charge it first right ? . Also the plow is awsome, just need something he said for it too be complete, i'm thinking maybe some bolts for the plate i'm not sure.
Name:  003-1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  004-3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  006-2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  85.7 KB

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good looking machine! Replace the battery if it's bad(and check that charging is 14 volts back to the battery while running) as it's the cause of the bulb blowout,plus would blowout the N/R indicators bulbs too just because of this. We stocked more bulbs for Polaris than any other stock item. Bulbs are the weak link in the electrical system and with a weak or dead battery that can't hold a charge or an overcharging regulator/rectifier,they take the brunt of the voltage spikes. The main headlight lens will be a little wobbly as its snaps into place and has o-rings to secure it in place. A good manual goes a long way on keeping your atv in good shape also! Good luck. OPT

Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay i didnt get a chance to check the battery yet but i pulled off the seat and i took off the filter top and its a k&n filter, i took that off and it smells like fuel and its dirty, at the bottom of the box there is oil liquid that smells like fuel alittle bit. i have no clue what that is. Also its dripping alittle fuel from the fuel overflow tube? on the carb, the actual tube was all gone but alittle piece left, it looks like its leaking on the starter. I noticed the reserve was turned to the one position.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the needle isnt seating good. Might need a carb rebuild. Just turn the fuel off when it sits for now though.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Keep this K&N air filter cleaned and oiled regularly!Never been a great fan of K&N compared to UNI or even the stock air filter and prefilter. You will get a little oil residue over a period of time in the air box since you have the crank case vent and the oil tank vent leading into it. As mentioned also sounds like you need a new needle and seat if dripping gas from the overflow at the carb bottom and the air filter and box has a gas smell. Part #3130531 needle valve assembly.Check Ebay,Cycle Parts Warehouse,Cheap Cycle Parts as to the best price. OPT

Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah i might just want to get a UNI filter and should i get a new overflow tube ? I'll look into that part #. should i just get a carb rebuild kit ? or will that not contain the needle in it ? if i should get the kit could i get a performance jet kit ?

Quick Reply: just bought a used sportsman 500 has an issue