Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

battery dead/fan barely spins

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 sportsman 500 battery dead/fan barely spins

I have a 2002 Remington edition polaris 500 sportsman and my problem is it set in my basement for several months so the battery was dead so I charged it and ran it for a little bit but seemed like it was hot before the fan came on,so when the fan finally came on it ran real slow by that time it was already spitting coolant out the overflow,so I parked it back in the basement. What could cause this? Bad battery,bad fan, charging system not charging? I ran it with same result 3 times just aggrivating cause before it sat for a while I had cam,timing chain,and exhaust rocker arm changed out at a local shop that stuck me with a hefty outragous labor bill!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated as to how I could track down my problem.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Start at the beginning! Have the battery load tested and replaced if needed! Especially since it's been sitting. The fan motor has to have a full 12 volts for it to work or the machine will over heat. You can also just test the fan motor also with a direct 12 volts and see if the fan is ok. When you get all this sorted out,make sure you leave the radiator cap off while idling to purge any trapped air until the fan cycles on and off a couple times.Then top of the radiator and overflow bottle. Keep a tender on the battery while not in use. OPT

Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

also with the bike running, check the voltage output at the battery w/ a tester to see what it is putting out. it should be 13.5 volts + if the charging system is working correctly.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Thanks guys I'll try these things and get back to you. Thanks a million!! Gun season starts in a little while and we'll need it!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

Tried to charge battery but would'nt charge! guess I need a new one, I jump started it and fan would'nt come on, so does the battery have to have 12 volts or does the charging system have to be making at least 12 volts for the fan to come on?which color wire is positive so I can run a jumper wire to the fan to make sure its not to blame?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Adwell
Tried to charge battery but would'nt charge! guess I need a new one, I jump started it and fan would'nt come on, so does the battery have to have 12 volts or does the charging system have to be making at least 12 volts for the fan to come on?which color wire is positive so I can run a jumper wire to the fan to make sure its not to blame?
You have to have a good battery to start out with for all electrical systems to work properly! Then make sure the battery is receiving a good charge back to it while running. You will have red or red/white wire to the fan along with a brown(ground) wire to check the fan motor out. OPT

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

Just got around to gettin another battery sorry.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah if the battery is bad nothing will work right...and bad doesnt mean low charge. A bad cell will make the battery act like a black hole...it will suck up all the power available and will not let it go anywhere else.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

I bought a new battery last night and rode it this morning and everything worked properly,never would have thought that a new battery would have fixed all of my problems.Ran like a new one now just need to run all the 2yr old gas out and fix the rear cv joints! Thanks guys!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME..Glad to hear to....just goes to show what proper power will do.

Also, if you decide you need a new fan you can pick one up off Ebay for 23 buck...a 9 " fan...and it bolted right on..holes matched perfectly.. I have a 2001 500ho with about 1000 milles, I gues sit was worn out and spinning too slow, but a new fan was a 1 hr job, switched it without any extra part removal and it spins sooooo much faster, smoother and quieter.

Quick Reply: battery dead/fan barely spins