Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 sportsman 800 Rear upper A-arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 sportsman 800 Rear upper A-arm removal

Need Help! I lost a bolt holding the right rear lower A-arm, resulting in bending the upper A-arm. Looked like a easy fix, (remove and replace) until I saw the upper a-arm bolts cannot be removed without removing the axle. The head of the bolts are just about touching the axle. How do you get the bolts out? I'm ready to bring it to the dealer.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonboy
Need Help! I lost a bolt holding the right rear lower A-arm, resulting in bending the upper A-arm. Looked like a easy fix, (remove and replace) until I saw the upper a-arm bolts cannot be removed without removing the axle. The head of the bolts are just about touching the axle. How do you get the bolts out? I'm ready to bring it to the dealer.
They don't build em with a mechanic in mind! Yes the upper a arm bolts are installed from the inside so they wont hit the cv boot with the nut and bolt end! Only way I can think of is to loosen enough to where you could cut the bolt head off and pull out from the other side!Then you would need new bolts! But you'd probably tear up the cv boot any way! Drive shaft should (if not frozen in because of water,mud,etc) just jerk out and out of the way to be able to work on the a arms. Yes it's more work,but look at what the dealer would charge! OPT

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

How do I remove the shaft? Just pull on it? Will I have to unbolt it from the hub first? Right now that the only thing holding the hub on. I feel like i'm in over my head. Thanks OPT

Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best to have the hub off and how I've gotten most of the drive shafts out is with short,rapid,jerks(like what an impact tool does) that frees most corrosion from the splines and the drive shaft then pops out.(NOT all are this easy though!) It might be best to spray the back of the shaft with PB Blaster and let sit overnight to soak in and tackle it in the morning when you're fresh and full of vigor OPT

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

Well I did what you said, except try it in the morning. I took the shaft off the hub, sprayed PB blaster, and started yanking it. It started to move and the upper CV joint felt like it came apart.... Now if I yank on it the only thing that is holding the shaft together is the boot. Did I just destroy the shaft? Please tell me no. What do I do next?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It's possible you may have pulled the shaft from the plunging joint,but you're not the first or the last one to do this. I've done this several times. Best now to pull the boot off the plunging joint and slide the shaft and boot out of the way. Use more PB Blaster and a propane torch to heat around this area. You can use a couple pry bars at the back of the joint at the transmission to try to pry it out. Once out it's just a simple tap with a dead blow hammer to reseat the joint on the shaft splines and retaining ring,then install the boot and clamp. OPT

Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT
I'm at work right now, will try it when I get home. Do I have to cut the clamp to remove the boot or can I get it off somehow. Will I need a new clamp also? And how do I put the shaft back on? Just use a dead blow hammer? Never had to remove a shaft.
Thanks again

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just pick up a cheap pair of earless clamp pliers at any auto store. May as well have em in the tool box if you're doing your own work! I've had a pair like this for years!Plus you can reuse the clamps!!
Lisle 30500 CV Boot Clamp Plier : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 30500 CV Boot Clamp Plier : Amazon.com : Automotive
OPT

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, I removed the CV shaft just with pry bars, and I removed the boot. What I see inside is 6 bearings loose and a cage. How do I put this back together? Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If any of the bearings have come out of the cage just rock the cage sideways to allow the bearing to drop in and repeat for any others. Make sure you have plenty of grease still in the joint and boot. To reassemble just stand the plunging joint on it's end(let the inside cage drop to the bottom of the joint) and insert the shaft .MAKE sure you feel the splines line up,and just use a block of wood and a hammer or a dead blow hammer if you have one to seat the shaft and circlip. You should be able to pull the shaft up and down and it will stop at the end of its travel. Then you can slide the boot down and install the clamps. Plenty of videos on this.
OPT

Quick Reply: 2006 sportsman 800 Rear upper A-arm removal