Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which aftermarket pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 99 4x4 explorer and am wondering what type of pipe would be better for it.I have a k&n fiter on it and a epi clutch kit.I would rather not have it to loud,sometimes we ride around the town late at night.Would i be able to modify the orignal exhaust?As for drilling holes in the airbox,well we ride in water quite often so i geuss that won't help.Can't wait to get my pipe so i can add on a v force 2 reed vavles on.lol Then it will wheelie in high range without a tug. hehe Thanks

Old 03-24-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

SteveXplor,

If you have read any of the resent posts on aftermarket exhaust for Xplorers, you will see that the best way to go is to put on a aftermarket '99 Scrambler pipe and run a stock Scrambler muffler if you want to be quiet.

Also, Dynoport makes a quiet/spark arrested pipe too. PSI makes a pipe but it may be a little louder. Hot Seat Performance makes a pipe too, but I don't know how loud it is.

The Scrambler pipe on the Xplorer trick works on '99 and older machines. Will not work on 00 and newer machines due to the moved shift lever.

I just installed a RCR Stage 1 kit to my Scrambler and will be installed my stock exhaust on my buddies '98 Xplorer to see what happens.

Whatever route you take, the Delta V-force reeds are very good. I plan to get some for myself soon. Good luck.

'96 Scrambler w/RCR Stage 1 kit, K&N filter, and Boyesen Power Reeds.

Old 03-24-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

The HPD mid range pipe for the Scrambler seems to be the preferred pipe for the 99 and prior. The Scrambler silencer / spark arrestor will help quiet it down, but a lot of the sound energy is coming through the pipe wall itself. I'm not sure about the silencer to frame mounting, but I'm sure that someone that's done this can tell you for certain.
There seems to be a problem with fit on the 2000's. Do a search for Bill.Ciliberti . Bill's gone through a lot with his 2000 Xplorer and he has a lot of info in his posts.