Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's the lo-down on the new 425?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bro-in-law is finally gonna buy a quad. He wants a Polaris (what else?) and seems to prefer the 425 shifter. He's about 250#, average build, etc. but where he lives is an excellent (I mean EXCELLENT) creek to ride in. All the other guys have Hondas, they were scared of the clutch (but I go anywhere they do), and he thinks the shifter model will work better for him.
Also, he wants to get the most for the least, i.e. he can't afford a SP500.
Do ya'll think this machine is worth the money? Will it hold up better in the long run if you ride water alot? What's a decent price?

Thanks
Todd

Old 08-03-1999, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

This one baffles me. I rode one and with one the other day. Guy traded his auto for it. (50 years old) Now he is fighting to keep it in the powerband. It looks like an old mans rig! I am told the scrambler 500 will be shift possible next year. I won't want one. I like my 500 as is.

Old 08-03-1999, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

Thanks tomtcat, I'm like you, I like mine as is. But he's thinkin' about the water ridin'...although the possibility of a 500 could throw yet another wrench in this whole deal...
Todd

Old 08-08-1999, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

You should be able to get a 425 for $5500 to $5700.

First gear is very low, compared to low range on an auto tranny. Water entry should not be an issue with each style quad. If you're careful, you can go in just as deep a water with an auto tranny as a manual.

I really boils down to the same thing it would with any other quad selection decision: Features, Price, Looks.

Good luck.