Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 xplorer 400 oil injection pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 xplorer 400 oil injection pump

I am replacing the oil injection pump on a 1995 xplorer 400 4x4. The old pump was missing the spring and some other parts making in inoperable. When I got it and put the motor back together I was told to run a 20:1 mixture. I purchased a used pump and am installing it. The cable that runs from the throttle to the pump has adjustment on it. What do I need to do to get the proper adjustment so I get the right mixture??
Thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Loosen the lock nut on the oil pump cable adjuster. Turn the adjuster in or out until the mark on the oil pump pulley aligns with the small mark on the pump body. This is the correct setting with no tension on throttle. On this setting, pumps are adjusted to about 50-1 ratio at all engine speeds which normally is fine. If oil pumps are ever blocked off,I wouldn't premix more than 40-1 ratio. Some try to premix 32-1 which is way too much oil.Only high compression 2 stroke engines need this much oil. OPT

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,
Thank you very much....I appreciate the help and direction on this. I looked all over my manual and could not find that information until after reading your post. Found it in the maint, lub, and tune-up section. About the only place I didn't look LOL. I've been mixing at a 20:1 ratio as I was told to do this. Smokes alot and have a lot of oil coming out the exhaust at the front because the spring are a little weak. Will definitely get this hooked up and running. Is there a way to test the pump to ensure it is pushing the correct amount before allowing it to run directly on the pump mixture?
Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only way to really tell is clean the oil line from the pump to the intake manifold or replace this line to where you can see it pumping up the line toward the intake manifold. Always when you replace a pump,new piston,rings,etc premix the first tank of gas about 50-1 ratio just in case! After it runs awhile you can pull the line from the intake manifold and see if it's oily. If you're really scared on a used oil pump,you can always leave the front pump plate off,block the intake manifold with a small 6 mm bolt and washer,crank the atv,hold the pump wheel WIDE open and see if oil dribbles out of the line while engine is idling. OPT

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,
Thank you again for the inforion. I will definitely do that to make sure it is pumping before actually switching back from premixed to the oil injection. Currently there has been about a tank and 3/4 run through it since it was put back together and mixed at around 20:1. The guy I got if from said he was told to mix the oil/gas at 20:1 from somone. Not sure who but I do know that it does smoke way more than it should and that much of a mixture would answer the "why" on the amount it smokes. It hasn't fouled out a plug, kinda suprised, but I have noticed that after letting it sit with the fuel left on that the carb does leak. I just put a carb kit in it but it started doing that after the carb kit. Didn't have it running before the carb kit so not sure on the history of that. Will let you know if I have any more questions as I do appreciate you help and knowledge. For the money I've spent on it I believe it will be worth it. Got it for free so that is always a plus!!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the old 2 strokes it's always best to turn the fuel valve off after use. That way it won't dump a load of gas into the crank case. Sounds like you need to check the float level out plus check that the brass float arm and pin aren't wobbly and worn out. Most people never bother to replace these since they don't come in a carb kit and they have to be ordered from a dealer or online. OPT

Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

I was told that injection pumps on the 300 's never had any problems but the ones on the 400 were likely to freeze or get dirty should I omit pump and run mixed gas?? Or is that just not true..just wondering if I should omit pump as I have a 1999 400 explore

Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

Another question I have is how many miles before I should replace rings and pistons..I just got machine it has 2100miles on it..it has been sitting for about 2 and half years..iI put Lil gas in carb fired right up..runs a Lil rough though..carb???

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Do a quick compression check first.If it's at least 130 psi,install a new carb kit and premix the first tank 50-1 since it's been sitting. Not good on crank seals etc sitting that long.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Should I stick with injection pump??? Or run premixed gas full time???

Quick Reply: 1995 xplorer 400 oil injection pump