Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 Polaris Trail boss 250 Help!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Polaris Trail boss 250 Help!

I just bought a 1993 Polaris Trail Boss 250 for $283. It runs but needs some TLC.
I bought it off craigslist and I guess the person who had it before me did not like the colors.... so they spray painted EVERYTHING . from the plastics to the head light to the handlebars.

I have lots of questions so ill just jump right into it.

1. What size tires do I need on the front wheels.
2. Why does it shut off while i'm Idling for a while.
3. Why wont my Electiric Starter work. This one is confusing me because I had it working earlier today and all of the sudden it stopped.
4.Where is my air filter? Should it be under the seat or something. I can't find it because I don't know where it should be.
5.Why do my handle bars wobble when I go fast.
6. What is the best way to remove spray paint from the pull start and the plastics.
7. Does it really mix the oil and gas by itself
Im not trying to restore it I just want to get it into reliable shape. Where I can take it out and ride it,use it for hunting, or just some yard work.
Im new here so go easy on me for all the stupid questions.

Ill post some detailed pics of it tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTrailboss250
I just bought a 1993 Polaris Trail Boss 250 for $283. It runs but needs some TLC.
I bought it off craigslist and I guess the person who had it before me did not like the colors.... so they spray painted EVERYTHING . from the plastics to the head light to the handlebars.

I have lots of questions so ill just jump right into it.

1. What size tires do I need on the front wheels.
2. Why does it shut off while i'm Idling for a while.
3. Why wont my Electiric Starter work. This one is confusing me because I had it working earlier today and all of the sudden it stopped.
4.Where is my air filter? Should it be under the seat or something. I can't find it because I don't know where it should be.
5.Why do my handle bars wobble when I go fast.
6. What is the best way to remove spray paint from the pull start and the plastics.
7. Does it really mix the oil and gas by itself
Im not trying to restore it I just want to get it into reliable shape. Where I can take it out and ride it,use it for hunting, or just some yard work.
Im new here so go easy on me for all the stupid questions.

Ill post some detailed pics of it tomorrow.
#1 look here on tire size on your model plus for any other parts that might be needed. Browse
#2 Could be loosing compression as the cylinder heats up and the piston rings may not be sealing against cylinder wall. This could be one reason for no idle after it warms up. Check compression,should be at least 120 psi to be on the safe side.If it's at least this much,then it could be loading up with fuel(carb clean,needle and seat needs replacement,etc) or possibly crank seals leaking. If less than 120 psi,you could need a new top end job.
#3 Jump the solenoid posts by the battery to see if the starter works.If it does,could be a bad starter solenoid. If not,then could be a starter problem. Here's a good place if a starter is needed. DB Electrical - Polaris
#4 Under the seat in a gray box connected to the carb,if the box is still on the machine!
#5 Could be worn tie rod ends,ball joints,a-arm bushings or a whole lot of tire sealant in the tires causing the wobbling.
#6 Lacquer thinner,acetone,but it will usually eat the plastic up. Replace the plastic or change your color preference!
#7 Keep the oil tank (located in the front of the machine) filled with two stroke injector or premix oil. ANY good two stroke will be okay,doesn't have to be high$ synthetic oil,just don't switch back and forth on different brands. Penzoil,Wally World oil,Quick silver,etc is fine. It wont use much oil. Usually 4-5 tank fulls of gas to two quarts of oil in the oil tank. It's metered at about 50-1 ratio at all speeds from the factory.
#8 There are NO stupid questions if you don't know anything about the machine! Hope this gets you started.

OPT

The following users liked this post:
Pitbull3684 (06-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply! Ill try and do some of those tests tomorrow. Ill also take some pics under the seat to make sure everything is there.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trailboss Update

Been real busy and did not get time to work on the Trailboss until today.

Contacted a guy through craigslist and got some front tires. I was only able to get one of them on because the lugs on the right tire are badly stripped (Any Ideas) He is also going to hook me up with the air filter box and a few more parts. Also got my electric starter working again.

Sometime in February I plan to rebuild the Carb and repaint the stock colors.The only problem is the stickers. They wont come off with out damaging them so I guess ill have to scrape them off and go without. I eventually want to put on a new muffler and a winch.

The real problem I am having is finding a seat. The seat I have on is to small and is being held down with only a bungee cord. Any one want to sell me one for a good price? Theres one on ebay but I am not paying $150 for a seat.

Its my 1st ATV and I really enjoy working on it and learning as I go!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wheel studs are easily knocked out and new ones,installed. Some local dealer may have some,or you can order them online.Several different years and models share the same seats,but finding one in good shape after 20 years is pretty slim.People know it and price em high. Covers are still out there everywhere,but if you have a wrong or damaged seat base your options are limited to Ebay,salvage yards,Craigslist,etc . A complete new seat in black is $227 at Cycle Parts Warehouse. OPT

Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trailboss Update #2

Ok so I have made some progress on the Trail boss but it seems after I fix one problem, a new one appears.
I grinded the old lug nuts and studs off and put new ones in. Got most of the body sanded down and painted. The bolts on the back rack were stripped so I had to grind those off to and get new ones. I pulled it all apart yesterday and just cleaned everything.

How do I know when i need a new spark plug. The one I have works I just don't know if its bad to run it with one that is covered in oil like mine.
I pulled off the left front hand brake and I can't figure it out. The Cylinder in it ( i think its called a master cylinder) is stuck or something. It doesn't move but i don't know if its supposed to. I read a bunch about bleeding the brakes so I figure ill try that.

The big problem i'm having now is that when riding it going a moderate speed works fine, if you full throttle it about a minute afterwards it will just bog out and then its really hard to start back up. I'm planing on rebuilding the carb eventually but will this fix it? I also don't have an air box but im getting one this weekend. Found a guy who is going to sell me an air box and a seat for $50!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Always carry a spare plug with a 2 stroke engine as they can foul out at any time.(BR8ES NGK) If in doubt about a plug just change it. You may need a master cylinder rebuild kit,it will save you a lot of frustration on getting the brakes working properly. I had a problem with most of the old master cylinders that were usually corroded up inside the housing and the kits didn't work. The best option was to replace it with the updated master cylinder. The 2nd thing I suggested was to check compression as this may be the problem as it gets warm. At lest you'll know the condition of the cylinder and piston. Hopefully it's just trash in the carb,main jet stopped up causing the problem. The carb kit would take care of that. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
OPT

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Still waiting for pics..!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

sorry took them just cant figure out how to put them on here. It wants a url or something??

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 2x4 update

Sorry for the wait on the pics and everything. Still trying to get that seat and airbox. Just got no money. BTW just found out I have a Polaris 250 2x4 not a Trailboss. Dont really know the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Polaris Trail boss 250 Help!