Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 Magnum No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Magnum No Spark

I've been doing some work on a 1995 Magnum 425 4x4 for a friend. The initial problem was the water pump, so I pulled the motor to get that fixed. I put the motor back in and hooked everything up except bolting down the gas tank and putting on the plastic. It started up and ran fine so I bolted down the tank and put everything else together. Tried to start it and it would crank, but no attempt to fire. I pulled the tank back off to get to the spark plug and found I have no spark. Actually I don't have spark until I turn the key off or the kill switch, then I get 1 spark. I can pull it or use the electric start and its always the same.
Here's what I've checked so far:
I pulled the black wire from the CDI box I still don't have spark, and i lose the spark when the key is off.
I checked the air gap on the pickup coil and if I bend it closer or further from the flywheel there is no difference.
I cleaned the surface rust off the magnet on the flywheel.
I checked the electronic throttle limiter by taking off the cover and running the switch manually, no change.
I snipped off a little of the plug wire and screwed the end back down and got a new plug, no change.
I think I've chased all the wires, and cleaned the connections.

I first thought I pinched or pulled a wire when I bolted down the tank, but I can't find anything. Maybe it's just a coincidence it happened when I bolted it in.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the basics first. The pick up coil White/Red to White should ohm out at 97 ohms. The Black/Red to Red wires from the stator should be 450 oms. The coil primary(tab to ground) should be 0.3 ohms. Secondary( coil tab to plug wire with cap removed) 6.3k ohms. All of these are + or - 20%.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. Here's what I found:

White/Red to White - I could not get a reading
Black/Red to Red - 421 Ohms
Coil Tab to Ground - .4 Ohms
Coil Tab to End of Wire (cap removed) - 6.14 Ohms

The Pickup coil and stator wires were checked at the plug ins up by the CDI. Since I couldn't get a reading on the pick-up wires does it mean it's bad?

Thanks again for the help
Steve

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't take it for granted that the pick up coil is bad! Just pull the recoil cover and see if one of the soldered wires has come loose. I've found several like this and just soldered the wire back into the small eyelet..If it is bad here's a cheap place to get a new one. Ricky Stator

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will check to see if the wires are connected. Also make sure I didn't crush one of them when I bolted down the tank. If the wires are good would it be safe to assume the stator is good? It looks like the stator comes with a pick up coil? I'd hate to buy just the pick up coil and find out the stator is bad too.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

By your readings the main stator charge coil is within tolerance,but an ohms test is not always 100% accurate in some cases.Pick up coils can be purchased separately OR as a complete stator assembly with pick up coil. I'd try the pick up first if needed since it's $39 versus about $175 for the assembly,but that's just my worth...

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thought I would stop back and give an update. It was the pick-up coil. I got one from Ricky Stator and it fired right up. Thank you Old Polaris Tech for the help!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cheaper than buying a complete stator. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same Problem

Thank you for posting this. Used an Ohm meter and had the same result you did. Mine was a little bit trickier, as I got the right ohms out of the pickup coil once I brought it in the house. Mine tested good in the house, but below 50 degrees, zero continuity. Drove me nuts until i figured it out. Installed a new one I got on ebay and it runs like a champ. Thank you for posting and helping with diagnostics. Spent $23 instead of $900, since polaris doesn't sell just the pickup coil, new stator assembly at $370.00.

Gotta love the internet and do-it-yourself-ers.

Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

My $900 above is just a guess on what the dealership would have charged me for a teardown, diagnostics, and replacement of a $370.00 part if I had decided to take it in instead of tearing into it myself. But, just a guess on my part.

Quick Reply: 1995 Magnum No Spark