Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 700 Sportsman blows oil out dipstick tube when running??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 700 Sportsman blows oil out dipstick tube when running??

Hope Old Polaris Tech gets this or anyone that has experienced this, on my 2002 700 Sportsman when the motor is running and you pull out the dipstick oil blows out, is this normal or not. If not what is my problem?? It has me confused. Thanks for any help!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't pull out the dip stick on any machine while it's running!! Had a guy do this in the parking lot on a 325 Trail Boss and was doused with oil! Had another guy pull the dip stick on an XP 850 and broke it off in the engine when it was shot up at an angle and we had to split the engine to get it out! If I remember correctly some time back we had one guy on the forum do the same thing on his XP and had to have his engine torn down also. Even though all 4 strokes have some sort of crank case ventilation for excess pressure build up, some act more violently than others just from the oil pressure alone if you do this.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so I take it that is normal on this machine so one more question, what would cause me to have a small amount of oil in the anti freeze? It even has a thin layer on the overflow tank so you really cant see the level very well? Oil in the motor looks perfect, compression is great and motor runs perfect. I cleaned the sheaves on the primary and driven clutch with brake cleaner and wiped the belt off with brake cleaner as well and it drives and takes off like new. no slipping now. As you can tell I just bought this and really know no history about it. As far as the anti freeze issue is that possibly normal or is there anything that I should check or be aware of, it does not overheat as I have ridden it some and the cooling fans come on and work fine. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Quite possible you may have a small place on the head gasket that's not sealing and may seep a little oil over a period of time into the coolant jackets without noticing coolant in the oil itself. If it's new to you I'd do a service on the oil and filter(especially if you don't know what kind of oil is in it),possibly flush the coolant and just keep an eye on it. This first year Sportsman 700 had some updates such as the water pump cover brace to keep it from leaking,plus just to keep you informed on this,the Ducati ignition system also caused some problems.Some did ok,others had to have the updated Kokusan kit installed if it lost spark. I'd down load this pdf service manual and study it along with recommended fluids.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2002

Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for your advice, I will change oil and filter and flush the cooling system and watch it. Is there any certain way or any special way to flush it?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Drain the radiator at the bottom,pull the hose from the water pump to drain coolant from the engine,plus you can pull the thermostat housing also. Jack up the front end tires off the ground and fill with 60/40 or 50/50 coolant. Leave the radiator cap off and let the engine run and fan cycle on and off several times to purge any trapped air. As the coolant level goes down just add coolant to the radiator,then replace the cap and top off the reservoir. Drain is #34. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

anything special I should flush it with to get the oil residue out?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There are radiator flushes such as this Mylers Miracle Flush Radiator Cleaner | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC but I just used a plain old water hose to flush one out while leaving the radiator drain open after you drain the antifreeze in a pan. This was to to keep from contamination of any ground water.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey old polaris tech, cleaned it all up and went riding this weekend was perfect at first then the belt began to slip again. Came home took the cover off and all covered in oil again, took off the Primary clutch and driven clutch and the inner cover off, cleaned up around the crank seal real good and dry and ran it for 45 minutes and not a drop the seal around the edge and around the crank is dry as can be. So I am guessing it is my tranny seal then since that is the only other place oil can come from, so how do I test it and how do I change it? Am I on the right track or should I be checking something else. On another note, while running in the garage it appeared to be running rich because there was a strong exhaust smell, suggestions on how to lean it out or should I rebuild it with 4500 miles on it, thanks so much

Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the level of the oil plus check if the trans oil level has dropped any. Trans seals are just pop out and replace,but if it's a crank seal seeping the case has to be split because it's a flanged seal that sets in each case half. As far as the rich running this was one of the complaints on the Ducati ignition system before it really started acting up. You could try a new carb kit and see if it helps. If the float needle and seat get worn it can cause excess fuel to dump into the cylinders.2002 2006 Polaris Sportsman 700 Carb Rebuild Kit | eBay

Quick Reply: 02 700 Sportsman blows oil out dipstick tube when running??