Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! Muddy Water in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Muddy Water in Oil

I was out riding last weekend and I got stuck in a bog. The bike was running and stalled. I winched out off battery power, started it up, it made some nasty noises and stalled again. It was also smoking which made me think it might be belt. There was power from battery (lights and winch) but would not turn over. I left it, checked oil... milky. So I got it towed back to camp.

Got it home, drained some nastiness from the engine. Tore it down, checked plugs...fine. Cycled 2 litres oil through it, with plugs out I turned it over a few times (no water came out). Drained oil, still kinda nasty. Did same thing again, turned over 10 times or so. drained it, cleaner now.

So I put plugs back in, fired it up no problem and no smoking. Ran for 5 seconds or so and heard a knock (not too loud but not sure how loud is too loud), changed oil again. much cleaner. I had noticed some tiny chards of brass looking substance (babit material I was told). new oil again, started it up. It has a knock, and a screech (either from the clutch or the muffler?) off and on. Doesnt run well and stalls. Its very weak when I touch the throttle. I didnt leave it on too long for fear it would get worse.

Do you think I am totally screwed? I expect at very least a bearing redo, but if crank is screwed does it knock really loud? Also would the pistons and rings be shot, in which case, would I be looking at a new motor? I have a sickening feeling in my gut about this. It was my first time out with this and I saved for 2 years to afford this machine. Wife gonna kill me!

Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. If you know anyone on the forum that you could send my way that would be awesome. Also likely going to be looking for parts most likely. I live in Alberta.

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

you probably have bent your engines connecting rod and toasted the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings
the screech is coming from the engine to transmission drive belt under the cover
that is people run snorkels on their atv`s
( reroute the carb air intake via hard plastic pipe up and above the front end of the atv )

Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Open your wallet & repeat after me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Open your wallet & repeat after me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

After swamping a machine, NEVER start the engine until the oil is checked
for water and the cylinders are checked for water.

99% sure you need a new engine