Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'01 Sportsman 400 -Permanent 4wd in reverse??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Sportsman 400 -Permanent 4wd in reverse??

I use my '01 Sportsman 400 as a utility vehicle for my 5 acres. I have a mower on the front that I use to mow with and a plow for the snow. I am constantly shifting from fwd to reverse while mowing/plowing so about 3Xs each year I either have to replace the bellcrank or rebuild the shifter box (what a crappy design). I am at the point of needing to purchase a new box after 5 rebuilds @ $200+. Currently when I shift into reverse the neutral indicator comes on most of the time instead of the reverse indicator. When this happens I cannot get 4wd in reverse which I need in a few hilly areas on the property. 2wd reverse works just fine with the neutral light, I'm just not getting 4wd activation via the shifter linkage through the gearbox circuit when in reverse. My question is. Is there a way to bypass the circuirty on the gearbox circuit and install a manual switch that I can use to activate for 4wd when in reverse instead of relying on the shift linkage? I really do not need the limiter when in reverse either and if this can be deactivated at the same time it would be a plus!!

Just a thought that can save me some $$s and a lot of time in the future.
Thanks for any help with this.

headusher

Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

To get ride of the reverse override.
Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) You will also need to trace the purple wire which comes from the handlebars and simply cut and tape both ends. Done deal.
Link It came from. Polaris Mod's - Light mod, Reverse Overide and Others - TrackShare.com

There is a kit also http://www.quadovator.com/812717.html

More post on it last one on the bottom, seems to be the same person. http://www.polarisriders.com/105-spo...l-reverse.html

Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If gear position shows neutral no awd in reverse allowed as you know. The 3 position transmission switch also has been updated over the years as the flimsy plastic levers are prone to breakage. You can also try jumping the red/white wire and purple wire from the rear switch to see if reverse position at least still lights. Item # 11 is the switch.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2001&fveh=5555

Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response. After re-reading my post I want to make sure that what I am asking is correct. I still want the ability to switch from 2wd to 4wd. What I am asking is that when I choose 4wd if there is a way to manually (or otherwise) make sure I am in 'reverse' 4wd if the shift indicator light shows neutral eventhough I am actually in reverse. Hope this makes sense. I don't want to rely on the gear shifting mechanisms to activate the reverse 4wd because of wear in the linkage and or shifter box. And as mentioned as an added benefit a way to bypass and not use the limiter circuitry if possible. I can live with pushing the button that deactivates the limiter if I have to.

FYI I do get the 'yellow' reverse light every now and then especially when I first start the ATV. The longer I drive it the less the reverse light works. If I really need to be in 4wd reverse I can shift just prior to a complete stop and about 50% of the time I can get the yellow light to come on and have full reverse 4wd. It's sort of a tricky shifting manipulation to get 4wd to work properly in reverse.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You do know that Polaris is a AWD system not a typical 4wd limited slip (3x4) system.
When the ATV is in AWD mode its still only in 2wd at all times unless the rear wheels slip and lose traction ,that will causes the front wheels to engage instantly.
The front wheels disengage once the rear wheels regain traction.
2wd mode is so the ATV stays in 2wd only no matter what conditions are.

If it stayed in 4wd at all times it would be uncontrollable to steer,it would be like riding a ATV in full time diff lock, because Polaris is a true 4wd locked front end, not a one wheel drive limited slip front end like most ATVs.(3wd)

It so quick you do not even feel it or see it.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

TLC,

Thanks for the response. This makes sense to me now because I've noticed on occassion that there is a slight jolt when I'm slipping and in reverse- like 4wd is kicking in. I guess I can't do what I want to do with a manual switch type config.

At the recommendation of old polaris tech I will change the tranny switch and get the kit for the override switch. Hopefully this will help.

What does the front tranny switch (Item 10) do? Should I replace this switch while I'm at it?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Front switch is for low range. If the low range indicator lights up,no need to spend the $.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

One more question before I spend $70+ on the 3-postion switch. I'm assuming by the response I got that this switch plays a part in activating the AWD in reverse, not just turning the "R" indicator on & off??? Looking at the wiring diagram I'm not sure I see the connection between this switch & AWD except for the "R" indicator light. I'm not a mechanic or engineer but what am I missing?

I'm thinking it must for Polaris to use such an expensive switch!!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you look close at the schematic,the gray/white wire from both switches tie together and branch off to the awd selector switch and also the reverse over ride switch.The switches are not just for illumination,but circuit completion also. You can also just remove the linkage from the hi/n/r belcrank and use vice grips to move the belcrank further to see if the reverse light works. If so,then the problem is again in the shift box linkage not allowing enough travel,not the shift switch itself.They moved the gear position switch from the shift box to the transmission on your model hoping to cure some of the problems I guess. This is the main reason they went to straight line shifting on later models and the rotary type gear position indicator. Just too many wear and tear items in this style box..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Since I will probably need to replace the bellcrank (AGAIN) I might just remove the switch and see what the plastic levers look like.

One more question- has Polaris or anyone come up with any type of retrofit for this type of shifter box/linkgage combo?

headusher

Quick Reply: '01 Sportsman 400 -Permanent 4wd in reverse??