Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Brake Problem on SP500

Old 08-18-1999, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 SP500 with about 300 miles on it and the rear brake has not stopped squeeking and it is driving me crazy. My dealer told me to use WD40 on it, and yes that is what they told me. Is there a problem that should be taken care of while still under warrenty or just need some adjustments?

Old 08-18-1999, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to tell you this.... But it's normal. I have seen almost every Polaris with a disc not mounted on the rear axle squeaking. Even the dealers tell people it's normal, deal with it.

Old 08-19-1999, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Yes I am afraid so, most (not all) rear disk brakes squeak! Mine usually sqeaks after it has been standing idle for a while, but usually it goes away soon after I go riding. Warning!! the brake pads wear out quickly so keep an eye on them. My first set of pads lasted only 200 miles. Use the EBS as much as possible (if you have it) that way your pads will last much longer.
Good luck squeaky.
Dave Formstone
98 SP500

[This message has been edited by dformsto (edited 08-18-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, do you think a different type of pad will work, maybe an aftermarket brand?

Old 08-19-1999, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys! the rear brake on my '99 SP500 squeaks too. I have around 230 miles on it. I believe what it is is this. When the machine sits for a while a little tiny bit of rust starts on the disc, and, since rust expands, it makes the disc squeak against the pads. what I usually do to get rid of it is to run a little bit with just the rear brake lightly on, this seems to get the rust off and the brake quiets down. also after riding for a few hours it goes away completly and doesn't cause a problem until I let the machine sit for a few days. Unfortunatley this does seem to be normal, but it is not a major problem, just a little annoying for the first few minutes of riding (at least on my machine)

hope this helps!

Paul
------------------

[This message has been edited by quadgoat (edited 08-19-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Belive it or not - you probably already need new brakes!!!!I had to replace mine not long after 300 miles.

Old 08-19-1999, 02:08 PM
hc
Range Rover

My rear brake started to squeak after the first few hours of riding. It's only been dry when i have rode,( I don't get to ride much but that's going to change(too much overtime at work))..and I think it has something to do with the heat of the disk and the dust...I have EBS on mine(99 SP500) so I don't use my brakes that much. But i have notice that when i do use them the harder I have to use them the more likley it is to squeak,( like going down a road and missing another road that i want to go down and hitting the brakes hard. My dealer said that the rear brake noise is common on most Polaris's. And he said the only problem with it is it is annoying.He did say that he could adjust them but it would start squeaking againg before long. I think quadgoat is right to about the rust. Another thing is when my disk squeaks I have notice it is just one small place on the disk like the disk has warped. With that said the squeaking problem could be corrected with aftermarket disk and pads but personally I don't know. I am just going to live with mine. It doesn't do it all the time any way.

------------------
Harold Cowley

Old 08-21-1999, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

You guys definitely want to keep an eye on those rear brakes. At 500 miles mine (unexpectedly) went metal to metal. When I complained my dealer gave me a new set of pads and a rotor, I installed them. I say it was unexpected because with EBS (’99 Sportsman) the brake wear should be less. At 950 miles now my fronts look like I can get another ride out of them (150 miles) before they’re gone. My wife’s Magnum has as many miles on it and I didn’t catch the fronts before they were worn through. The rears were paper thin. I just replaced hers all-around yesterday. Be sure to get the severe duty pads when you buy new ones.

------------------

Old 08-22-1999, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

I have a '98 Arctic Cat, My 1st set of pads lasted for nearly 2000 miles. One day while on a ride, i noticed my brake lever getting a little squishy. I didnt think to much about it since we were riding alot of high speed water puddles on a dirt road. What had actually happened is my rear pads had worn all the way down, torn in half , in turn the caliper fully extended and every time i pulled the brake lever, brake fluid was squirting out...a few minutes later still not knowing what was wrong i tried going up a monster hill, got half way up and decided to take another angle..well..they rest is history...bang, boom, pow ,ziiiiit...ouch , bam ooohhhhhhh...aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!...poor little kitty... I agree with everyone else, check those pads!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-1999, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I might have solved the brake problem. I took the pads off and when I did I noticed some fliud came out of the bleeder fittings. I checked the resorvior on the handlebars and the rubber gasket inside was totally expanded. I put it pack together and notice even though I lost fluid it was still reading full on the resorvior. Is is possible there was to much fluid in the system. My brakes have not squeeked since. Not sure why but they are fixed. I was thinking that to much fluid put the pressure on the calipers all the time. If your brakes squeek, try it and see if it works!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brake Problem on SP500