Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Magnum 500 brake system...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Magnum 500 brake system...HELP!!

I recently took my quad in for routine fluid changes & then got a call saying the front pads were in need of replacing. I said go for it. Up to this point front & rear brakes were working fine with no signs of any problems. I get another call the next day telling me my front right caliper was locked up, but he was able to get it off & working properly but it need to be replaced. Again, I havent noticed any indications of any problems before dropping it off....it would stop on a dime. Fast forward a week. I get the call to come pick it up. I notice on the the first ride that the brakes are not working as efficiently as they used too & that the brake fluid in the master cylinder is below the low line. I immediately return to the shop & inform them of the problem. I tell them do whatever you gotta do, find it, whatever.....just fix it! At this point front & rear brakes were working properly, just not as effectively as before & fluid was low. Fast forward a week. I get the call to come in & talk about it. I'm then informed that my system is completely shot. I will need new front & rear calipers, rotors, pads, lines & master cylinder. $1300+ just in parts by their calculations. At this point the front brake handle has zero pressure and doesn't work at all. The rear peddle has minimal pressure & functions, but not to the point of slowing or stopping the bike. At this point I'm livid, & feeling screwed over. Later that day, after putting around the hunting land I noticed the hand brake had gone from having no pressure & moving back & forth freely, to being in its correct position & unmovable. I'm not sure if that has any relevance, but there it is. What can I do to fix this? Any advice is greatly appreciated & thank you in advance!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No need to post twice in this section and in the expert section also! Gets confusing..