Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy....

Hi all. New to the forum, as well as the world of ATVs. I've been on a motorcycle for a while, but its time for a new toy. I'm looking to buy a machine within the next month or two... Am neither rushing nor dragging my heels. I've been doing research, looking at the 2014s- Polaris 550 EPS, Polaris 570 EFI, Can-Am 650 XT, Honda Rubicon or Honda Rancher DCT.

Main points: Must be automatic. Want power steering. Must be 4wd. Looking for good value and excellent reliability. I don't want to spend a fortune in mods or in upkeep/service. Going to be riding in sand/clay here in NM, as well as mud in Texas, and forests in Colorado. Looking for a well rounded machine. I couldn't find a general questions forum, so I'm posting this in each manufacturer forum, looking for results. Pros, cons, thoughts, suggestions, any and all advice/thoughts/suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I have an 09 550XP EFI EPS. Best machine I have ever owned. Super ride & reliability. Others are not even being considered for next purchase, if I ever tire of this ride.

There are lots of good machines out there so it will take lots of close comparison. Have fun with it.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't say enough about how happy I am with my 550XP! I just don't think it can be improved much more! LOL!
The seat comfort, driving position, power steering, lack of vibrations, tough paint (automotive paint finish), 4X4, are just some things that come to mind that score high in my book. Overall it's just one excellent ATV

Test drive before you buy! Listen for vibrating fenders, clunky powertrains, aggressively work the power steering on each model. Look at the quality(or lack of) of the switches/controls.

Polaris put a good stock tire on the 550 and awesome alloy wheels.

Oh yea, don't forget to punch the throttle conducting your comparison tests!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

I have owned or have seat time on all those brands. Here are my observations:

Ride Comfort: Polaris, slightly behind Can An then much further back Honda

Reliability; Honda, slightly back Can Am and Polaris

Drive train/AWD system on smooth, groomed trails; Can Am then Polaris followed by Honda

Drive train/AWD system on rocky, rough and steep trails like in parts of NM and CO: Polaris way out ahead, followed by Can Am (even with the new QE) then way back the Honda, even with the new front locker.

Storage: Polaris, Can Am then Honda

Drag race: Can Am, Polaris waaaaay back Honda

Dealing with the factory on a warranty issue: Polaris, not so good, Can Am better, Honda, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I was using the machine to take trips into remote areas with really, really challenging trails: Polaris.

If I was living full time in an area without easy access to a mechanic or parts: Honda

If it was all about accelerating fast: Can Am

Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it was all about accelerating fast: Can Am
BUT

Why look at a 550XP when a 850xp with power steering cost less then a 650 Can-Am with no power steering.
A 850 xp sure can beat a 650 Can-Am heck it can give a 800 Outlander a run for its money.
Can-Ams price are bizarre. 2013 Can-Am Outlander™ XT™ 650 ATVs

Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by TLC
BUT

Why look at a 550XP when a 850xp with power steering cost less then a 650 Can-Am with no power steering.
A 850 xp sure can beat a 650 Can-Am heck it can give a 800 Outlander a run for its money.
Can-Ams price are bizarre. 2013 Can-Am Outlander™ XT™ 650 ATVs
ditto, I've noticed in most cases the 850 eps is only gonna set you back roughly a $1000-$1500 more than the equally equipped 550XP and still cheaper than the can-am 650xt. I see you never mentioned the grizzly? That would have to be my second choice in a heart beat after a Polaris 850. Never owned one but have plenty of seat time on one and several friends with the 550,660, and 700. They all love their machines with no complaints.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know the maintenance schedule and pricing for the polaris 550? Also, it's listed as AWD not 4WD. Is there a difference? Is it belt or shaft drive?

Thanks all. Appreciate the input and help. I def do NOT need an 850. Speed isn't the highest priority for me, I don't need to be flying down trails and I am NOT looking to race.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can check MSRP at Polaris' website but the best place for a price is to check at the dealer as the actual price may not be the same as MSRP. AWD is 4WD and all Polaris ATVs now made have CVT belts. I agree with not needing an 850. I never feel a lack of power with my 500.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I just changed my 1st belt @ 550 hours (general principal) and it still looked brand new

Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

An avid Honda man and four wheeler rider friend of Mine.
After riding My 05 400 sportsman told me He was going to trade in His almost new Honda for a Polaris, I thought, yeah sure, guess what ??? he did. Got Himself a 2012 550 Sportsman.
Surprised the heck out of Me.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy....