Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 polaris magnum 500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 polaris magnum 500 wont start

we have replaced the battery about a month or two ago and the 4 wheeler was working just fine but i get home from work and my mother said that she started it and it ran fine so she drove it to the barn (2 10ths of a mile) and cut it off when she got ready to crank it back up it wouldnt cranks at all nor would it even turn over the only thing it will do is the solenoid will click and that is it so i checked it out and tightened up the battery cables which werent hardly loose and still just a click i tapped on the solenoid and still clicks so what could be going on with it. fyi we cant use the pull rope because it is broke and the headlight in the dark looks reasonably bright for it to be 34 degrees outside and not running. im wondering if it is the solenoid the starter or the battery i am tired of working on this thing please help anyone. thanks

Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure the connections are tight at the solenoid also and no corrosion on the terminals.You can sometimes tap on a starter to see if it works,but if it does usually that means the armature has a flat spot or brushes worn,or just dirty.
Take a meter or test light and touch the wire at the starter when you hit the start button. If you have 12 volts to the starter,then it's probably a starter problem.If you don't have power to the starter,then it could be a solenoid has shorted out.Plus you can do the old fashioned test by using an old screw driver and jump the two posts on the solenoid to see if the starter works. If the solenoid is bad,at Cheap Cycle Parts it's $27 and has been updated. Item #19 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If it's a starter problem,cheaper to replace them rather than tear one apart and clean and install a brush kit as many of the ones that I rebuilt didn't hold up.http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1812-magnum.aspx
Plus simple things like the battery itself. If in doubt about it have it load tested,plus if you get it running make sure the battery is receiving around 14 volts at an idle or this whole problem could be a regulator not charging enough to keep the battery up.Battery tenders are worth the price also and extend the life of the battery.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine did that and it turned out to be dirty and sticking bushes in the starter motor.
I cleaned them up 3 years ago and its been good so far.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks i will check that out