Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I would like some input here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 05:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just bought a new 1996 Sport 400. I am amazed at how well this machine performs in both engine performance and suspension. My unit had burned about 3 tanks of gas before I got it. It is practically new as it sat for 2 years not used. The "knobbie hairs" are still on the tires.

This Sport 400 is basically a 2 wheel drive scrambler right? It weighs less and that's about it isn't it? What improvements or changes have Polaris made since the 96 model to the 99? Does all the info here on hopping up Scramblers pertain to my Sport 400 as well? The pipe info and the clutch info? Anyone ever tried to put a 100 watt halogen in place of the stock 55 watt head light?

The guy I bought it from claims that he raced a car and was clocked at 80 m.p.h... Is this a load of B.S. or what? I don't believe him, I think 60-65 mph is more down to earth.

Any comments appreciated here. But please don't bash my quad. I just got it yesterday and am not really into hearing how much better a Yamaha or a Honda is. I love this Sport so far as it has far exceeded my expectations.

Keith B

1996 Sport 400, 1991 Trail Boss 250, 1983 XR350R

Old 08-24-1999, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Keith,
So when do we ALL get to "test drive" your new machine. I WANNA GO FIRST!!!!... But don't let Bill drive, he's too hard on them... he breaks too much stuff.
I'm not sure about exactly what parts work best on the two strokes, but if you'll send it to me along with a zero balance high limit credit card I'll have it running over 100 m.p.h. in NO time...
So, when should I expect delivery????....
Just havin a little fun, Congrads on the new toy!!!... Enjoy!!

Old 08-24-1999, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

For the year '00 the sport is called the "Scrambler 400 2x4". They're a few changes since then. It has more suspen. all the way around, including a 10.5" travel fox shock in the rear. I think 8.2" in the front. Concentric drive (great feature), a few other little mods too, like the starter, etc. There is a full test in I think the Sept. issue of DW. A full 65hp mod will make it scream!

Oh yeah, 60 - 65 is about right for a stck Sport or Scrambler 400 2x4.

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

[This message has been edited by Willie B (edited 08-24-1999).]

Old 08-24-1999, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

HEY WELCOME TO atv WORLD,I'M SURE YOU WILL ENJOY YOUR MACHINE,DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE NEGATIVE CRAP YOU HEAR.dON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SPORT MACHINE HAD 94 400 SPORTSMAN WAS 2 STROKE DON'T REMEMBER HOW FAST WOULD RUN BUT WAS FAST ENOUGH FOR ME.lET THE BASHING GO OVER YOUR HEAD YOU HAVE GREAT MACHINE,JUST REMEMBER THAT TALK IS CHEAP,U NO WHAT YA GOT IF THIER JEALOUS SO BE IT.gOOD LUCK RIDE SAFELY AN ENJOY.

Old 08-24-1999, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

The main upgrade to the newer sport models is concentric drive. It is really a great feature. At any rate, with the older sport you still have one awesome quad. Check into HPD, Ritter cycle, or hotseat for a pipe and clutch. Also have a little fun after you modify it kickin some banshee and 400ex butt. I own a scrambler 500 (1999) and when I bought it I was split as to whether I should have bought the sport or 400 scram. I am very happy with my choice, but I sure would love to have a modified sport also. I need the 4x4 so the scram was the choice for me. Enjoy your new ride. After 1999 there will be no NEW sport owners. You have joined an elite crew of YELLOW sport riders. The new sport (scram 2x4) is red like my 500. I guess I will have to buy some aftermarket plastic so I don't look like everone else. By the way, when you hit the gas HOLD ON!!!!

Old 08-24-1999, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

The sport 400 is one great hot rod it has a ton of potential if you like to hop them up there are a lot of aftermarket companys who make performance parts for the 400 2stroke(which by the way is the most powerful single cylinder engine you can buy in a 4 wheeler) I,m with Corn Cob Ignore these bashers and enjoy that new toy of yours you got a big horse don,t let it throw you.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-25-1999, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith ,congratulations on the Sport, I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.But I'D beware of taking advice from anybody who call themselves CornCob.You can tell by his[or maybe her?]Spelling the level of Intelligance that he posseses.His [continued] mis-spelling indicates a very young and/or immature person.Perhaps very inexperienced in the real world as well.Welcome to the ATV world. BILL

Old 08-25-1999, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for you input guys.. I am surprised by your hospitality. Polaris owners are the most welcoming group of ATV'ers on this site.

Don't worry Bill about poor advise from certian members. I may be new to a Polaris product but I have been around the "Motor Sports" block many times. I have years of experience and patience with recreation vehicles under my belt.

It is easy to see why the Polaris section has the most posts on this site. We are a fairly close knit group who welcome new members and help out our fellow ATV owners. I was lucky to find this discussion group on the net. Thanks again guys and/or girls.

Keith B

Old 08-26-1999, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

I know you have received several responses to your questions but i cant resist my 2 cents. I have a 98 Sport 400 and also really like it. If you are thinking about mods to it also consider the AAEN pipe, and clutch kit. Thats what i went with on mine and it goes like hell. Enjoy!!

Old 08-26-1999, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

sorry that some people have to spoil it for ya they say ignorance is bliss,don't need to mention bills name if thats really it.Only thing can figure it's a blonde DUUUHHH

Quick Reply: I would like some input here.