Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Magnum 425 turns over hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Magnum 425 turns over hard

I have a 425 that I had the cam replaced in a short time ago and now it is hard to start. When it does start it runs great. Tried the recoil starter and almost lifted the quad off the ground! Is there a decompression spring? Detent? something to knock down the compression to start it? HELP! I have changed the starter, solenoid, and battery. Cleaned the recoil starter up..... Need some new ideas!!
Thanks,
JD

Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Exhaust valve detent spring and lever is on the end of the cam. You can pull the small cam plate on the left side of the engine to see if the spring has broken. The lever should be able to be lifted up and retract on it's on under spring pressure.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Magnum 425 turns over hard-camshaft-spring.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default cam spring on 425 Polaris

THANK YOU! Now for the hard questions.
Can I fix this without pulling the cam back out? Can I fix this from the inspection hole?? (I hope so)
Thank you for your help!
JD

Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the spring end is broken,you can replace it by pulling the lever and shaft out and replace the spring. Item#15 and 16.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Detent spring

Thanks, Old Polaris Tech! Checked the spring and it was not right but after reassembling everything it still did not turn over well. Do you think the the timing chain adjuster could be too tight? That is what I am going to check today. How tight should it be and how do I tell? Pulled the plug and turned it over and still seemed to be slow? The drive belt is loose, running out of ideas! It was turning over ok and then I had the cam replaced, that is when I picked up the slow to no turning over problem. Am I on the right path???
Thanks,
JD

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cam chain tensioner is self adjusting. I wouldn't mess with it as the chain should be tight. If you have a new starter,new battery,solenoid as you say and the cam detent lever/spring is working properly,then I'd recheck timing to make sure everything the mechanic did is correct. To do this you need to really need to pull the flywheel,stator and cam cover to check the lower sprocket OR just pull the recoil housing,use a paint stick to high light the "T" (tdc mark on the flywheel)replace the cover and see if the cam sprocket alignment pin is center of the head and the tdc mark on the flywheel lines up with the pointer on the inside of the recoil housing.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Magnum 425 turns over hard-2011-05-21_125845_00_polaris_500_cam_timing.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default timing marks

OPT, I understand checking the timing but it runs well when I can get it started? Both idle and at 30 mph. I just can't find what is causing the ( for lack of better terms) drag when starting? Even with the plug out it seems to drag some. Will pull the side cover and look at the belt when cranking? When running it does not act like it is trying to pull or move like it has a transmission drag.... I am baffled! Before changing the cam it turned over well....... I am in Kaufman, is that near you?
Thanks,
JD

Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only other thing besides an internal problem causing the dragging(bearing,piston problem) is to check the cam detent small ball bearing that's operated by the lever. If the ball is not working properly or even missing as I've found on a couple machines this can cause problems. Lift the decompression lever on the cam end and the pressure should push the ball bearing outwards out of the cup a little,then as the engine cranks,the lever returns to the stop pin on the cam and the ball bearing recedes back into the cam body. If it still takes a massive amount of force even with the recoil starter,something ain't kosher somewhere. Bearing and cup is shown under the cam.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse About 30 miles west from Kaufman..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default detent pawl and spring

OPT,
Well, I am running out of ideas! Do you still accept challenges like this to work on? it is old and ugly (kind of like me) but we use it on the ranch to check on fences, ect. I am going to recheck everything I can. It is not worth a whole lot but still serves a purpose.
Is the spring supposed to hold the pawl arm against the stop or out from it? I have it against the rest when stopped. Is this correct?
Thanks,
JD

Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pawl should be resting against the stop pin. Don't know if this helps,but here's a pdf manual that shows in detail the cam spring and how its supposed to be aligned with the pawl and stop pin in the engine section. The spring has a long and short end. If installed the wrong way,could be a problem.Hoping it's something simple that's been over looked. My main job in retirement is already taken! Wake the wife up for one more year to go to work! Don't need or want anymore challenges.Had enough over almost 23 years on these machines. Hope the manual helps,PLUS how about contacting the guy that did this job. Hope it wasn't a certain dealer in Terrell (if they still are a Polaris dealer). Year model doesn't matter as the cam had the same part # in the 425 and 500 engines(#3086212). Plus later model (2001) 500 HO cams(#3085855) have been used also with no problems that I've heard of. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...e%20Manual.pdf

Quick Reply: Polaris Magnum 425 turns over hard