Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Worst Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-1999, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stuck my Magnum 500 for the first time about 2 weeks ago and it was a doosy. We use some of the large Beaver dams here for creek crossings , This one in particular in front of my house I have been using for years . We had a really dry summer here and in the last few weeks it has rained a lot . Any how I decided to cross this dam one day after it had rained heavy for the few days before. I got about halfway across and the dam colapses under me I gun the engine in a panic but to no avail the quad and me end up in the creek bogged down up to the seat, I stay on the gas trying to keep water out of it and I look floating down towards me and low and behold a corn cob I grab it kill the engine and stuff the cob in the tailpipe like a cork. I walk out about a mile to our farm get a small tractor take it through the woods to the creekbank hookup the chain the tractor cuts off I look in the fuel tank and Doouuuuup it out of gas , walk out again get gas walk back finally get the machine out check it over pull out the corncob and give it a little choke and she starts right up. I ease home and check all the fluids and the starter drain and by some miricle hav,nt taken on a drop of water anywhere.(I still changed the oil just to be safe). Lesson learned Beavers build good dams Not good bridges

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-16-1999, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

Yeah corncob2, notice where he stuck it?

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Not your average Kitty, The New King Of the Jungle

Old 09-16-1999, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2000 Trail Boss, and I was going through what looked to be a dryed up mud bog, and I was cruisin through it and all of the sudden both left side tires sink right in. They sunk in so far I couldnt see the tires. I tryed but couldnt get it out. So i walked back to camp and got some people to help. One of em brought back his truck. First we tryed just some man power. It worked after we took our shoes off we jumped in the mud and started pushin while another hit the gas. The mud was up to our thighs. This was thick mud too. But we got it out and since I have avoided that Bog. Even if it looks dried up.

Old 09-22-1999, 05:49 AM
Range Rover

I'll try to keep it simple...

99 Sportsman fell through ice on a marsh. Rear end sunk in mud up to rear rack. Drove 93 GMC Z71 out to try winching, got Z71 stuck up to frame. Called wrecker. Got wrecker stuck up to frame.

Day 2

Got 2 more wreckers. Winched Sportsman out with Z71, used come-a-long from wrecker 1 to Z71, got Z71 on firm ground and out. Needed winches from wrecker 2 and wrecker 3 to "unstuck" wrecker 1.

How's that?

Old 09-22-1999, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like "most expensive" for sure!!!!

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-22-1999, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I was riding in Munster, Texas on my Explorer 300. I rode all day and went just about everywhere the big boys went. It looked like it was going to rain so I started toward the truck. Seeing a mud hole I just had to try I ran off in it. It was shallow quick sand. I sank down to the bottom of the engine. Thinking, no problem, I threw it in reverse, and the tires wouldn'teven spin. It took two other Polaris four wheel drives to pull me out. We were soaked and I burnt a flat spot on my belt so it knocked and vibrated all the way back to the truck. My advise, don't drive off into quick sand.

------------------

Old 09-23-1999, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Scavanau, Just how much did all of this cost?

Old 09-24-1999, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

I'd like to say the wrecker driver was in it for the challenge but, then he wanted his $500.

Luckily that night the temp hovered at 32 - 33 degrees and nothing froze in the mud...

Old 09-24-1999, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

worst stuck, no, worst situation..maybe.
I had a 98 Sportsman 335. Father in law was
putting it through hell in a old gravel
quarry. He got too close to the edge and
rolled it into the quarry. The quarry was
filled with 40ft of water. Somehow the quad landed on a shelf 10 feet down. He dove down
and tied a 150ft extension cable (elec) to it
and tried to pull it out with his explorer.
he buried his explorer in the process. Then
the owners of the pit show up. (not happy)
they were nice enouph to help his get the quad and the truck out, but made him write a
check out for $100 to a charity to teach him a lesson. As for the quad, opened the motor,
drained the water, replaced all fluids and
started it up. After 15 miles it runs better
than before, clutch too. This quad was built well.

Old 09-25-1999, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

You folks will like this.

I was goofing off near my home in PA farm country. Buzzing up and down hills, looking for some water or mud to slop through with my 400 Bayou. I found this really low lying swampy area near some recently plowed corn fields. I have plowed this field for my friend who farms it and never really looked too closely at the swampy are.
So I get this idea to try and go through it, well I get in about 50 feet and the Bayou starts going real slow and starts sinking. I try to downshift only to find the shifter is under mud and going deeper. I stopped the quad and dug out the shifter and tried reverse, HA! Talk about a sinking feeling. I get off and look at the quad, now up to about the top of the oil filter. I tried rocking, pushing, pulling, lifting...(yeah right), nothing budged the quad. I got back on and spun the tires as fast as I thought was safe, the Dunlops were just big black ***** of mud. This stuff was thick and dark and stiff. There were huge clumps of grass all around and they were hanging up the quad.
I walked about 1/4 mile to the barn and looked for some rope or chain or something to pull it out with a tractor and found nothing. I walked back to find the quad up to about 3/4 of the tires and now a car had stopped on the nearby road. It was my friend who farms the land and he was laughing his butt off. We both could not budge the quad. We were both almost stuck ourselves and I actually had one of my boots sucked off my foot.
We finally got a come along and the tractor and winched it out the next day.
All this to tell you folks, 1 week later I blew up the Bayou while riding with my friend on his yz250. 1 week after that I bought a Scrambler 400, went to the same exact swamp, took the same path, and almost had the same results until I realized I didn't have the 4x4 switch on and then it was like there was a winch attached to my front bumper. The Scrambler and its AWD just spun and spit mud and slowly climbed out of the mud hole.
That is why I bought it, 2wd sport quad, 4wd mud, snow, water, and hills, all in one machine.
I did rebuild the Kawasaki though. The Scrambler is not a good utility quad. But, I will say this, The Bayou cost me $1800 to rebuild, and the cause was dropped valve due to overheating due to water pump failure due to using automotive anti-freeze in the cooling system which corroded the mechanical seals in the water pump. I wouldn't have been so upset since I bought the Bayou used, but I had it serviced by one of the supposed "best" Kawasaki, Yamaha dealers in the area and they replaced the coolant with the automotive type.
Sorry so long...

Quick Reply: Worst Stuck